Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1/4" AR400 Targets for 9MM Minor

I'm interested in building some steel targets for personal practice.  My wish list includes 6 full size poppers, 6 mini poppers, and 3 round plates (8").  I have a friend with a metal fabrication shop that can purchase the material for me and let me use their plasma cutter.  I plan to only use them on 9mm minor.  A friend that owns a range said that if I was only using them for 9mm, 1/4" AR400 would be fine.  I also found a flow chart on choosing steel targets that also said 1/4" AR400 is good for personal pistol targets. (no magnums).  They don't recommend them if you're buying them for a range or club.  I assume that's because there's no way to control what people will shoot at them...

I understand that the heat from plasma can make the edges a little brittle, but I think if I had to buy time on a water jet it would break the bank...  

If I can get a good deal on the material and free access to the fab shop I think it's a no-brainer.  

Please let me know if you have experience with 1/4" AR400 pistol targets.  

Thanks

I would hold out for AR500.  I've got 4 1/4" "C" zone IPSC style targets that have many thousands of round on them.  I can even shoot them with .223 and .308 and longer ranges.  

If you go with AR400, one day you'll be shooting something other than 9 minor and wish you had gone with AR500.

For non magnum pistol rounds, if your going to be cheap, 3/8" mild steel plate will last a very long time.

if your going to spend the money on AR plate just buy 3/8" AR 500 and be done with it.  It will be cheaper than buying 1/4" today then 3/8" a few years from now.

My friend can get a 4x8' sheet of 3/8 AR400 for $338, so I think I'm going to give it a try.  I did a quick layout to get an idea of what I may be able to squeeze out of it.  It looks like a lot.  It's enough to setup every classifier in the book, plus a few extra round plates.  I'm not sure of the spacing, but I'm sure they can give me some guidance at the shop.  Either way, I think I'll be making out pretty good.  

Steel Target Layout Model (1).pdf

Before you buy anything look around for a company that did government work over the last several years. I found a local shop that did subcontracting work in the up armor of HMMWV's and they had several sheets of the good stuff laying around. All they charged was labor to cut it. My plates cost me $13.

43 minutes ago, Sarge said:

Before you buy anything look around for a company that did government work over the last several years. I found a local shop that did subcontracting work in the up armor of HMMWV's and they had several sheets of the good stuff laying around. All they charged was labor to cut it. My plates cost me $13.

That is AWESOME!!

I have several 3/8" AR500 and one 5/16" AR400. On the 400 plate, I don't shoot 10mm or magnums at it (occasionally forget but don't make a habit), but for 9/40/45 I can't tell any difference in damage or otherwise between the plate. If you're talking steel on the cheap, I'd have no reservations moving forward with the plan you outlined.

• 5 months later...

for home use with cast minor 9mm reloads,  even A36 3/8 will hold up.  I have been shooting mine for 3 years.  Some pock marks from when I used jacketed and HP (don't use jacketed or HP!!).  Coated just splats with no damage.