Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock magazine malfunction

njl

Years ago, I got into the habit with my Glocks (the ones that will do it anyway) on a slide lock reload, slamming the magazine home hard enough that the slide stop automatically lets go of the slide, returning the gun to battery, chambering a round.  I recently got a Gen4 G19, and while practicing with it last weekend, at least twice, I had something happen that I'd never seen before.  When doing a slide lock reload, upon slamming the mag home, the slide would close, but the chamber would be empty.  The slide had managed to scrape over the top round in the magazine, rather than stripping it from the mag, and even scraped a track through the coating on the hi-tek coated bullet on the top cartridge.

I kind of assumed this was just a magazine issue.  I was using older mags left over from a previous G19 I owned long ago (I kept most of the mags when I traded that gun away).  So, today, while shooting my first actual IDPA match, I used 3 brand new mags and had this same malfunction twice.  Another shooter asked if I was using 15rd mags, and said he'd had the same issue and another shooter had told him "use 10 round mags for your reloads" and it never happened to him again.  Obviously, the 10 round mags to make sure you can't stuff 11 into them are at full compression to get that 10th round in, so there's no way for the stack of cartridges to sink any further in the mag.  My assumption is, with 15 round mags, either when I slam the magazine in, the rounds are sinking in the mag (inertia?) or the top round is hitting the ejector hard enough that it and entire the stack of cartridges is bouncing down off the ejector, and staying down just long enough for the part of the slide that normally strips a round to get ahead of the case head and then either close on an empty chamber, or get stuck half closed with an empty chamber.  Today, it cost me time and a procedural, as I stopped to figure out why my gun was only half closed after a reload.

Is this a common issue with Glocks and "high capacity" mags limited to 10 rounds?  I do have some 10s for all my 9mm Glocks (left over from the AWB)...but not for my 21. :(