Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

14 stages, 400 rounds in one day... the match concludes on Sunday as the next two waves of competitors shoot half the match over two days. This was one of the most physically demanding matches I have ever shot. The weather was great today but there may be some rain over the weekend and that could prove problematic for a couple of the stages... specifically the roof stage.

Max Michel is leading so far but he is listed as shooting Carry Optics, he told me on Thursday he was shooting in Open, so there may be some shifting in results...

Current Results

Edited by BritinUSA

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, selecw said:

Hey, I was in the same squad as J Golob and the Juniors (and the Chinese red star shooter) but no pic! Clearly being old, crap and non photogenic ruled me out :)

Truer words have never been spoken Steve!!!:D

On ‎8‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 5:23 PM, rowdyb said:

I shot for crap. Was a long 11 hour drive home today.

26 DQ's?

Had one in our squad.  Pulled the rope for the pins on the drop turners and was backing up and reloading.  The rope wrapped around his leg when he pulled it and tripped him up and he fell over backwards.

On 8/5/2017 at 0:05 PM, selecw said:

Hey, I was in the same squad as J Golob and the Juniors (and the Chinese red star shooter) but no pic! Clearly being old, crap and non photogenic ruled me out :)

What shirt/color/logo were you wearing… I may have some pictures…?

More Photo's here : LiveShots

I did not get many pictures at this match, I was shooting on Friday at the same time as many of the top shooters. I had hoped to get some shots of my squad but we started out with ten people and ended with just seven so we were constantly working to reset the stages.

Edited by BritinUSA

9 hours ago, Sarge said:

How are those tires not shooting boxes and subject to 1.1.5?

Umm. wut?  Is there a problem with multiple shooting areas? I see it all the time. That stage had like 10 shooting areas. I used 5. Would only have used 4 if I had been shooting SS minor instead of major.

A tire is not a box. Gotta jump/climb in and out of that bad boy.

I see no issue with it, and think it would be an interesting challenge I wouldn't have minded shooting, whereas boxes would have been boring.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

Glossary definition settles it technically but you have to presume thought was never given to somebody laying tires out there.

I would think the spirit of 1.1.5 is still busted since the tires still dictate a shooting location?

1 hour ago, jester121 said:

Probably specifically referring to 1.1.5.1, in that shooting boxes may only be used in Level 1 matches.

Is a small round shooting area still a box? The A3 Glossary definition would indicate "no".

Yup, I don't think tires count as boxes but they do make a dandy trip hazard. But the activator rope on the ground (Rowdy's video ~2:40) was, to be polite, non-optimum.

Edited by ChuckS

1 hour ago, Sarge said:

Glossary definition settles it technically but you have to presume thought was never given to somebody laying tires out there.

I would think the spirit of 1.1.5 is still busted since the tires still dictate a shooting location?

I think you don't actually understand the spirit of 1.1.5.... has nothing to do with physical boxes, tires, circles, etc... has to do with not forcing a competitor to shoot from a specific location... not what they are actually shooting from.  There were 8 tires.  You only had to shoot out of 4 of them... and of those 4 you only HAD TO shoot from 1 of them (only location 2 target where visible). 

People must really like all of the gimmick's and circus stuff because they fill this match to capacity every year. I stopped going to this match because I am into shooting at shooting matches instead of being forced to do a bunch of stupid stuff before I could get to the shooting.

As an MD myself, there is no way I would put a lot of that gimmick stuff in any match I run. There is too much risk of it failing or being inconsistent through the whole match. That and it dramatically increases the safety risk for the shooters and everyone else. I think the 27 DQ's at this match speak volumes to the increased safety risk. I am sure some of those DQ's were due to "normal" safety violations. But I would venture to say that a lot of them were induced by the increased risk of the gimmicks. 

Edited by CHA-LEE

One thing that I wonder about is how NROI can validly review and approve these type of stages when the WSB's and Drawings don't really represent reality or this gimmicky stuff. For example, the WSB for the "Tire shooting area stage" shows a drawing with shooting boxes. There is no mention that tractor tires will be used for the shooting boxes instead of normal boxes. The same could be said for the roof top shooting area stage. That or the general lackadaisical correlation between the stage drawing verses reality. If Google Sketchup is used for the stage drawings then a very close to reality drawing can be rendered giving NROI a better understanding of what the stage is going to be. You would think that Level 3 matches would be held to a higher stage review and approval process than lower level matches. At a minimum accurate stage drawings would at least give the shooters a valid representation of the product they are buying.