Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

how many times do you reload major brass

tswisher21

You need to find a powder that gives you power factor without going to this extreme. Major Power Factor has nothing to do with overloading the round beyond safe pressure specs.

it is the velocity of the round loaded to safe pressure with out going over making power factor.

Going over the max powder recommendations is not safe and a good way to blow up your gun.

24 minutes ago, microham said:

You need to find a powder that gives you power factor without going to this extreme. Major Power Factor has nothing to do with overloading the round beyond safe pressure specs.

it is the velocity of the round loaded to safe pressure with out going over making power factor.

Going over the max powder recommendations is not safe and a good way to blow up your gun.

You know absolutely zero, zilch, nada about loading 9MAJOR so please.......

Very few powderS make 172+PF IN 9mm. I like 7.8 grains of WAC with a 115JHP FOR ABOUT 174PF.

To the OP, I have literally lost count of how many times I have reloaded some cases with the above recipes. Cases will split or primer pockets will get loose when they are wore out.

2 hours ago, tswisher21 said:

So how many time do you load 9mm major brass?  I am new to major and get nervous loading 2 or 3 grains over max listed in the books.  Thanks Tim

Not all 9 major is created equal, 9.4gr of 3N38 under a 115gr JHP @1.161" makes 170.5pf and comes right out of the Vihtavuori load manual, by comparison the max load for Winchester Autocomp under a 115 JHP makes just 133.5 pf; loading longer helps stretch it out, but the pressure is still higher at the same velocity.

Back to your question: I load with anything and everything (I've even loaded 9 major in aluminum cases) and the only case failures I've experienced have been stepped brass (FM, IMT, Ammoload).

2 hours ago, tswisher21 said:

I am nervous loading 2 or 3 grains over max listed in the books.  

Tim, when I got my TruBor ten years ago, I started shooting matches with factory ammo,

because I was also "nervous loading" 9mm major loads, even though I had been 

reloading 9mm for 30 years.

Fortunately, a club member sold 9mm Major load for a reasonable amount, and

I bought a bag of 1,000 of them.

They worked so much better than the factory ammo in my TruBor.

I started talking to him, and he gave me his recipe (115 gr MG JHP and c. 8 gr HS6 at 1.145"),

so I loaded up some backing off the powder to 7 grains.

Shot them awhile, and worked up to 7.5 gr ....    then 8.0 grains.

Since then, we've both switched to 124 gr MG JHP's and c 7 gr WAC, which we've

been shooting for 7 years now.

Loading 9mm Major is actually safer than loading .40 Major, since it's almost

impossible to get bullet setback in a 9mm, since the powder fills the case.

Work up slowly, use a chrono, and like Sarge mentioned - don't worry about the brass.

Just keep loading it as long as it's not split and the primers stay in the pocket.

Good luck with it.    :) 

3 hours ago, microham said:

I have to agree Sarge, you obviously know nothing about 9 Major. 

Probably around 2-3 at most. Only reason is after I use brass for practice at my local range it gets recovered, processed again and goes into a separate bin. The next loading is for matches where I leave it. Part of the appeal for 9 major. 

When testing / chronoing loads I've ran the brass 4-5 times with no problems. However this was using slower stuff like 3N38, AA#7 & HS-6. I've used WAC also but would never attempt major with anything hotter than that. Have a pound of Win 572 I'm going to experiment with today. My inquiring mind just has to know. 

IMHO if you're shooting a couple of matches a month 9maj brass is abandoned before it can become an issue. Happy loading. 

As long as the case will hold a primer and it isn't split.  Toss the stepped crap,  maybe run a magnet through the brass to pick out the steel cases.

Major nine has been around long enough that if you shoot range brass there is no way to tell how many times it has been reloaded.  

Currently running a pile of HS6 under a 115 PD JHP at 1.175.  

I do pick up a few thousand nickel plated cases each year for lost brass major matches--most of it is police brass, and there is a fair chance

that it is actually "once fired".   Just seems to run a touch smoother--or it could just be my imagination.

Been shooting 9 major for 4-5 years

Only pick up at local indoor wed nite match and practice.

load it till I lose it or it splits, usually loose it cause by the 8-9th time I use it at an outdoor match and let it fly .

On 8/4/2017 at 10:19 PM, Sarge said:

You know absolutely zero, zilch, nada about loading 9MAJOR so please.......

Very few powderS make 172+PF IN 9mm. I like 7.8 grains of WAC with a 115JHP FOR ABOUT 174PF.

To the OP, I have literally lost count of how many times I have reloaded some cases with the above recipes. Cases will split or primer pockets will get loose when they are wore out.

+1, you beat me to it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...