Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

EGW fire control kit ?

Broncman

Time to order my fire control kit for my 2011 build. Both the EGW kit with lightened hammer and the EGW kit with the Koeing low mass are the same price.

Which one? I do have a titanium firing pin if that helps in the decision.

Thanks.

Hello: Pick whatever hammer design you like. Both are made by EGW so they are great parts. I like the looks of the EGW hammer and it works great. I change out the sear spring to a Wolff one which I like better than the Colt style one. I use the Dawson firing pin since it is longer than the others. So EGW sear, EGW hammer, Extreme disconnector, Wolff (Ed Brown) sear spring. You can get them all from Shooters Connection. Thanks, Eric

There is 0.1gr difference between the Konig and EGW lightened hammers.  I have both and prefer the EGW.  I would not recommend a Ti firing pin unless you are going with a standard mainspring.  A 17lb did not work for me.  Going to a 19 helped, but not so much with CCI primers.  I finally went to a SS firing pin and have zero problems.

Also consider the EGW Ti strut and mainspring cap if you are trying to reduce weight and decrease lock time.

I installed EGW Ultimate trigger kit (Koenig hammer, Colt sear spring, EGW sear & disconnector) in my 2011.  My gunsmith achieved a crisp 1.5 lbs trigger pull.  Still consistent after 2k plus rounds. You cannot go wrong with EGW lightened hammer and Extreme Engineering parts either.  Your pick.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I have found that the EGW hooks are pretty close to 90-degrees. Both hammers are excellent and I re-cut both on the mill just to make sure, but I would have to give the nod to the EGW from my experience.

Andy Cree

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/29/2017 at 2:05 AM, CCG said:

I have found that the EGW hooks are pretty close to 90-degrees. Both hammers are excellent and I re-cut both on the mill just to make sure, but I would have to give the nod to the EGW from my experience.

Andy Cree

Aren't they both made by EGW?

EGW is the best bet, and yes EGW make both hammers.  EGW makes a lot of parts for other big name vendors as well. That explains just how good EGW is.  George makes some of the finest 1911 parts going. They hold up to the abuse of competition if they are fitted properly and will last a very long time.