Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Stand alone mount for Mr Bullet Feeder found!

So if anyone has any doubts about MBF support, forget it. It's freakin' awesome! I bought just the MBF collator from Double Alpha. I realized that mounting the collator on the Dillon case feeder wasn't going to work well for me. Several folks here recommended that I contact Rick, the guy who invented the MBF....so I did.

Rick informed me that he had made a stand alone mount for the MBF and that he occasionally got requests for them. After I talked to him for a bit he decided to make a run of a bout 10 units. So I got one. It's a simple, nicely made but oddly shaped delrin block that you mount your MBF to using the two bars from the case feeder mount system. You can then mount a separate rod or pole using the supplied U-Bolts. It removes the collator from the case feeder entirely and makes it so it sits exactly at the correct angle. 

Rick charged me $25.00 including shipping and it arrived yesterday. I already have it set up. It's pure genius in its simplicity. It fulfills my needs completely. I already have the really nice GSI pole from their collator mount. I was able to order a 13/16th solid aluminum rod from Metals Online for about $8.00 and slide it right down through the GSI pole/mount. This allowed me to clamp the MBF mount to it and use my excellent GSI mount. 

Mission accomplished ...Mr Bullet Feeder collator feeding bullets to GSI tool head. Now all I have to do is start tuning to drop the bullets that I never could get to run through the GSI collator.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The round aluminum fitting is part of the GSI pole mount. It will accept the 13/16th-inch aluminum rod I have the MBF mount bolted to. As you can see, the grey mount holds the collator at pretty much exactly the right 45-degree angle. 

Edited by AbitNutz

An additional benefit of this mount I think is going to be the ability to set it up for new bullets. Like anything you have to play with it to get it to work right. I'm going to have a sort of a tuning station. I'm going to have a short pipe of 18 inches or so that will be mounted in a 2x6 that I can sit on my workbench. I can then temporarily mount the MBF on it while I twiddle with the different adjustments to make sure everything feeds correctly into the tube. 

This will all be right in front of me on my workbench and not mounted up on the case feeder so it should be much easier to see what is happening, make changes....rinse and repeat. Since I'm not yet familiar with how the MBF collator works, I think this should reduce my frustration level. 

AbitNutz, thanks for posting called Rick and ordered mine today.  Don't have a GSI, so will have to fab up something... might be as simple as some NPT and a flange.  Good idea about the Tuning station too,  I have 4 calibers I swap around as well.

I just finished my tuning station, The U-bolts will take a 1" pipe, no bigger. I got a 2' piece of black iron from Home depot that was threaded on both ends, I then drilled a one-inch hole in a 2x6x6 and force threaded the pipe right into the 2x6. I can now monkey with it right in front of me while I'm sitting down. 

It kind of looks like a festivus tree, er pole......

On 8/4/2017 at 7:40 PM, AbitNutz said:

I just finished my tuning station, The U-bolts will take a 1" pipe, no bigger. I got a 2' piece of black iron from Home depot that was threaded on both ends, I then drilled a one-inch hole in a 2x6x6 and force threaded the pipe right into the 2x6. I can now monkey with it right in front of me while I'm sitting down. 

It kind of looks like a festivus tree, er pole......

That's my plan, going to pick up a 3' section of black npt pipe and a flange and bolt to workbench behind the 1050, and then maybe grab a 1' section for a "tuning stand" as well :).

Here's a mock up, this is the "tuning station" so not bolted in or anything, just test fitting brackets, pipe, etc...  This one I'll just use clamps while setting up - permanent install will be on a 36"pipe in flange bolted to workbench behind the 1050.

I went with 3/4" pipe, as 1" pipe was quite a bit more and they did not have any 1" flanges.  Seems to work fine in mock up mode.  They had galvanized pipe also - not sure if it makes a difference, only reason I got black pipe was so no glare etc from overhead lights, really.

Tuning Station:

xCfSFrG.jpg

Mock-up of permanent install:

H0jQii5.jpg

Edited by 78Staff

It works stupid good, doesn't it? No shakes and always holds it at a perfect 45-degree angle. As I said, I run the MBF collator into a GSI tool head. After fighting with the GSI collator for over a year I gave up and just ordered the MBF collator only. Double Alpha was good enough to just sell me what I needed. I'm not ready to give up my GSI tool heads, they're real works of art. However, I was stunned by the performance of the MBF collator. It just flat works! I had it dropping my 45-185 SWC BB HP NLG Hi-Tek coated bullets perfectly in about 10 minutes. I hope it's that easy to tune for the rest of them. 

I just can't believe how quiet and well mannered this collator is after the high powered washing machine action of the GSI.

Like I said, I'm not ready to give up my GSI tool heads yet but I might once Rick gets his new design to market. He told me he's working on a new design and if he's doing it, I'm convinced it's going to be top notch. 

Yeah, I always though the hang-it-off-the-CF was kinda kludgy, so I am pleased with this setup.

Rick also mentioned he was working on a dropper/seater combo die, for those that want the powder check back - so would allow powder check, then drop/seat, then separate crimp die.

Edited by 78Staff

Abit, seems we are the only ones interested in these lol...

Here's some pics of the finalized install...  Just a 3/4" flange, bolted in with #14 wood screws, 36" pipe.  Pretty solid setup.  Might raise up the collator a smidge, but otherwise everything runs great.

TVUHG8e.jpg

fRX3xdH.jpg

VemfPGs.jpg

Edited by 78Staff

On August 11, 2017 at 4:38 PM, 78Staff said:

Yeah, I always though the hang-it-off-the-CF was kinda kludgy, so I am pleased with this setup.

Rick also mentioned he was working on a dropper/seater combo die, for those that want the powder check back - so would allow powder check, then drop/seat, then separate crimp die.

That would be awesome did he mention a time line?

On August 11, 2017 at 9:21 AM, AbitNutz said:

It works stupid good, doesn't it? No shakes and always holds it at a perfect 45-degree angle. As I said, I run the MBF collator into a GSI tool head. After fighting with the GSI collator for over a year I gave up and just ordered the MBF collator only. Double Alpha was good enough to just sell me what I needed. I'm not ready to give up my GSI tool heads, they're real works of art. However, I was stunned by the performance of the MBF collator. It just flat works! I had it dropping my 45-185 SWC BB HP NLG Hi-Tek coated bullets perfectly in about 10 minutes. I hope it's that easy to tune for the rest of them. 

I just can't believe how quiet and well mannered this collator is after the high powered washing machine action of the GSI.

Like I said, I'm not ready to give up my GSI tool heads yet but I might once Rick gets his new design to market. He told me he's working on a new design and if he's doing it, I'm convinced it's going to be top notch. 

Any more info on his "new design" 

no...I should have pumped him when I had him on the phone but I didn't. He did mention one thing, The new design would be able to handle full wadcutter bullets where the current one can not...He was very excited about it so I suspect it's close.

I messaged Rick here on the forums about the new designs and this is what he sent back hope he doesn't mind me posting it. 

(I also asked about nose down bullet feeding) 

"Yes... I'm developing a new version dropper that will also seat the projectiles.  Not yet available, but getting close.

As for point down output, I have made some optional kits that allow point down feeding of handgun caliber projectiles,

but don't have any made up at this time.  Also, Double-Alpha and I are releasing a larger diameter collator soon and I will offer

the point down option on it.

Bestway to contact me is via e-mail    rick@mrbulletfeeder.biz

Thanks for your interest in my product"

6 hours ago, icestud said:

What is "point down"

The bullets is nose down instead of base or flat down like it usually is....people want this so they can feed cast bullets into size die/presses 

27 minutes ago, tmz said:

Just seeing this thread.  I've have his standalone mount for  about a year now and love it !!!

IMG_4983.JPG

IMG_4984.JPG

Looks good, I never considered putting it on the right side of the press :).  I like the stands also - I don't have the depth of your bench though :).