Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

IDPA and USPSA rigs

RangerTrace

Since I've decided to get serious with IDPA and plan to still shoot USPSA Limited, I decided to make my rigs as similar to each other as practical.  This is what I'm working with right now.  Next month I'm planning to get another Comp-tac holster and their quad pouch to put on an extra CR-Speed belt I have.

IMG_3500.jpg

Trace: I didn't like the quad pouch I had years ago. I felt it was slower than just single pouches since you can adjust the tension better on the singles and you can space the singles out better. I would tend to grab more than one mag and drop one in the process. CompTac make a nice IDPA belt that is reinforced with kydex inside. I have two that I use for daily wear. They sometimes have blems on sale cheaper. Thanks, Eric

34 minutes ago, Aircooled6racer said:

Trace: I didn't like the quad pouch I had years ago. I felt it was slower than just single pouches since you can adjust the tension better on the singles and you can space the singles out better. I would tend to grab more than one mag and drop one in the process. CompTac make a nice IDPA belt that is reinforced with kydex inside. I have two that I use for daily wear. They sometimes have blems on sale cheaper. Thanks, Eric

Eric, is it the same one they make now?  The one they have now is staggered and takes up less space on the belt........just curious.

Trace: It was the older belt feed version but the same type of setup. As you come back to the first mag I would hit the second one as well making it a slower retrieve. I would also miss the first one and grab the second one etc. It may work for you but I like the singles and the double ones more. Safariland 773 work as well for IDPA. Thanks, Eric

9 minutes ago, SJan said:

The bright red gear looks a little odd on the leather belt. I like it

Keep in mind it's usually covered with a vest.  I went with red because i wanted it to be easier to discern from my black duty gear.

I'll probably replace the brown belt with a black one, one of these days.  I just haven't wanted to spend 80 bucks on something that is usually covered up.

22 minutes ago, 3gunDQ said:

Nice rigs.

@RangerTrace, how many shooters do y'all have a your local IDPA match? 

IDPA is dead (or dying) around here. The 2 main clubs dropped their matches and another went to every over month.

The week night indoor matches sell out every time with a max of 32 shooters and they have at least two a week.  The outdoor weekend matches haven't been quite so full, but it may just be the Texas summer heat.

I just looked at our club's match calendar and there are 10 IDPA matches scheduled for August, along with a USPSA match and a couple PCC/carbine matches.

I like the Comp-tac beltfeed quite a bit, with Glock mags.....

Never grabbed more than one, rare for me to start with second rather than first, when it happened the second load was done with first mag, without consciously thinking about it.... 

9 hours ago, Nik Habicht said:

I like the Comp-tac beltfeed quite a bit, with Glock mags.....

Never grabbed more than one, rare for me to start with second rather than first, when it happened the second load was done with first mag, without consciously thinking about it.... 

I just sold my last race rig, so I'm going to set up a CR speed belt with the Comp-Tac belt feed and another Comp-Tac holster.......

I am quite happy using two of the double magazine comptac mag holders for shooting both IDPA and production.  I know you only need one double for IDPA but for the sake of consistency I use two.  Thay line up well for me and belt loops to ensure the holders are in the same spot.  I have tried another popular brand (do not want to publicly demean) and comptac adjusts more precisely.  Great product

Edited by Mushki25

11 hours ago, RangerTrace said:

I just sold my last race rig, so I'm going to set up a CR speed belt with the Comp-Tac belt feed and another Comp-Tac holster.......

I never got hung up on the "problem" of making the first reload from the second pouch.  I needed to reload, it was quick and smooth, I grabbed a mag with ten rounds and stuffed it in the gun -- does it really matter which pouch it came from?  For me that wasn't an issue -- I usually only figured it out when picking mags up after the stage.  (First pouch always had Mag numbered 1, second pouch 2, etc.)