Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tungsten guide rod

Djp55

Hey,

I'm looking for a tungsten guide rod for my girlfriend's gen 4 Glock 34 for her birthday. I shoot M&P, so I don't know but I've been told there are some special snowflake circumstances with the gen 4, guessing due to the two spring captive guide rod. Can anyone make a suggestion, she generally shots production if that helps any. 

A lot of people use gen 3 guide rods with a adapter. That gives you more options for swapping out springs without buying additional guide rods. You can get uncaptured springs. However sounds like that wouldnt be something she would use shooting production unless she reloads and is trying to make the gun function with very light loads. You can also purchase a standard gen 4 guide rod with tungston if you only shoot factory loads with stock spring weight.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I shoot a USPSA match almost every weekend now. Just started in Feb though. Just havent started reloading yet. Though i probably will at some point. Been buying freedom municians 9mm for .18 a round. Hard to justify dropping a grand on a reloading setup atm.

At that pace, saving a nickel per round, and assuming a $1000 investment in reloading equipment - it would take 20,000 rounds to break even. That's not counting your time labor. 

Definitely worth doing if you shoot good volume... and have the time.

I used to reload when I shot more, especially .40 major.....  but now only shoot 9 so sold all the equipment and spend my non-shooting spare time chasing my kids around instead of pulling a lever. Not right or wrong, but each to his own.

(yes I did not address the quality / pf of ammo.... but I'm not sweating with minor 9)

Now, if I got back into Limited, or Open.... I would feel compelled to reload. (actually one reason I don't, and am hiding in CO instead)

Yeah, shooting 9mm is the hardest round to justify getting a reloading setup for...  

Still, I load 9mm ammo (which I believe is better than what I can buy) for 11 cents per round.  

Thats pretty cheap.

36 minutes ago, sfinney said:

At that pace, saving a nickel per round, and assuming a $1000 investment in reloading equipment - it would take 20,000 rounds to break even. That's not counting your time labor. 

Definitely worth doing if you shoot good volume... and have the time.

I used to reload when I shot more, especially .40 major.....  but now only shoot 9 so sold all the equipment and spend my non-shooting spare time chasing my kids around instead of pulling a lever. Not right or wrong, but each to his own.

(yes I did not address the quality / pf of ammo.... but I'm not sweating with minor 9)

Now, if I got back into Limited, or Open.... I would feel compelled to reload. (actually one reason I don't, and am hiding in CO instead)

I have been reloading since 1977, and I am retired, so I DO have equipment and time!  LOL! 

I KNOW I have loaded 20K many times over!  Heck, I have more than 20K primers on hand right now, but I am only shooting about 1K 9mm per month.  

If I shot ONLY 9mm, and didn't already have equipment, I'm not sure I would want to put $1000 into loading equipment.  That number is high for all but the best reloading equipment though.  One can get started for a lot less, but will probably require more time...  

Of course, ammo shortages do have a bad habit of repeating themselves from time to time, and it is nice to have components on hand to "weather the storm".  

Plus, my "baby" is 42 yr. old, and my wife is still working.  Gotta do SOMETHING other than getting hooked on "daytime soaps"!  (j/k)  

Anyway, as sfinney said, everyone's situation is different, and that's OK...  

Edited:  I just realized that I am WAY off topic here, and I apologize.  I'm out!  

Edited by Ken6PPC

:)

Tungsten guide rods rock. I'd get a Gen 3 uncaptured LONG version (fits a G34 all the way to muzzle) and the Gen 4 adapter ring. And run a 13 pound ISMI flat recoil spring. That worked well in G34 with minor 9mm.

2 minutes ago, sfinney said:

:)

Tungsten guide rods rock. I'd get a Gen 3 uncaptured LONG version (fits a G34 all the way to muzzle) and the Gen 4 adapter ring. And run a 13 pound ISMI flat recoil spring. That worked well in G34 with minor 9mm.

Perfect, just what I was looking for. Any brand suggestions?

Awesome, thanks!
Ya, thats the way to go. Then you can cheaply change spring weights if you ever want to.
My problem is that If i bought reloading stuff, i would get a super nice, expensive setup. I know myself well enough to know. Im dropping at least 1000 bucks. I shoot .40 too so that is tempting to load 40 minor but freedom sells .40 for like 18-20 cents per round too. .22 cents for hollow points. They are reliable at least. Never had a failure to fire.
37f2e42b8110a661d79b093f2bce2905.jpg

I used to love Freedom until I got 3 back to back to back bad batches, where about 1 in 3 failed to fire. Never again. LAX reloads are great plinking rounds for 9 @ 18¢ but when I got around to chronoing they don't meet PF. Started reloading with a cheap hand press, takes forever but gets the job done and teaches the basics. Now I pay less per round and after firing my hand loads my girlfriend said that the 9mm LAX stuff we had been shooting for a year or more felt like a 40 in comparison because of how much less snappy the hand loads are. 

I used to love Freedom until I got 3 back to back to back bad batches, where about 1 in 3 failed to fire. Never again. LAX reloads are great plinking rounds for 9 @ 18¢ but when I got around to chronoing they don't meet PF. Started reloading with a cheap hand press, takes forever but gets the job done and teaches the basics. Now I pay less per round and after firing my hand loads my girlfriend said that the 9mm LAX stuff we had been shooting for a year or more felt like a 40 in comparison because of how much less snappy the hand loads are. 
I had that same issue your describing with freedom with LAX reloads. I bought 1000 and had like 2-3 per mag fail to fire. They would fire if I loaded them again. However it was just that one batch. Everything else I purchased from them worked fine. I think it was a bad batch of primers or something.

if they didnt fire first time thru the gun, then fired on the second try it means they failed to seat the primer properly, which means they have quality control problems. just my opinion.
Sounds like its a fairly common thing with these budget ammo companies. Im supprised they dont test their stuff before sending it out. Or....maybe they do.

i worked at one of the major ammo manufacturers for a few years, and even with very tight qc an occasional mistake happens. these small budget/startup ammo companies scare the crap out of me. personally i wouldnt shoot the ammo from most of these companies if it was given to me. maybe its my paranoia, but to me its not worth it.

just to remind OP that the  tungsten used in GR's is a little more porous and britle material. if you shoot volume,make sure to lube the rod so the recoil spring won't dig a  notch  in  the rod. once  a  mark  is  apparent,it's  a  countdown  for  a  GR  breakage.