Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shortest rifle length gas barrel?

Phong Nguyen

Hey fellas -

I've been shooting a Voodoo 16.5 Ultra Lite for some time and love it. So, I was looking to get a few more to make some backup guns but it looks like it's no longer available. Can anyone suggest something similar in weight, length and with rifle gas?

6 hours ago, Phong Nguyen said:

Hey fellas -

I've been shooting a Voodoo 16.5 Ultra Lite for some time and love it. So, I was looking to get a few more to make some backup guns but it looks like it's no longer available. Can anyone suggest something similar in weight, length and with rifle gas?

Call AA I'm pretty sure those barrels are still available.

23 minutes ago, CharlieD said:

Call AA I'm pretty sure those barrels are still available.

Thanks man, I just called them today and they said that they will make the lightweights again but there's no timeframe.  So, it sounds like it could be a while..

They are fresh on the market so I don't know much info or reviews on them but Special Ops Tactical recently came out with a new line of barrels with angled gas ports that they claim allow longer gas system on shorter barrels.

This is their 14.8in barrel with rifle length gas system. 24.5oz

https://specialopstactical.com/product/14-8-nitride-premium-siphon-agp-wnickel-boron-rifle-length-barrel/

They also have a 16in version too.

6 minutes ago, MustangMan said:

They are fresh on the market so I don't know much info or reviews on them but Special Ops Tactical recently came out with a new line of barrels with angled gas ports that they claim allow longer gas system on shorter barrels.

https://specialopstactical.com/product/14-8-nitride-premium-siphon-agp-wnickel-boron-rifle-length-barrel/

Very cool!

2 hours ago, MustangMan said:

Sweet! And not too heavy either. I'm gonna check out that 16" barrel. Thank you!

2 hours ago, MustangMan said:

That looks cool but I'd hate to be the guinea pig to see if it even works. The company name is cause for concern too..

1 hour ago, TonytheTiger said:

That looks cool but I'd hate to be the guinea pig to see if it even works. The company name is cause for concern too..

I understand the concern, from the research I did after meeting them at a gun show, bought one of their rails, I learned that the owner is a former employee of Spikes Tactical that branched off and started his own company. My only first hand experience with them is with one of their rails and I found it to be really high quality.

I do plan on testing one of these barrels in the future but after I finish a build I've already started.

On 8/2/2017 at 8:21 PM, jkrispies said:

MircoMOA used to have a cool rifle length 16" system... but I'm not sure if they're still in business...

MicroMOA is done (for now) because of issues with family.  I just happen to have 2 of their 16" barrels, one is fluted taper profile with rifle length gas. Both are outstanding shooters.  Wish I had grab the 17.3" last year before they suspended business.

Edited by PacMan

MicroMOA made the "Governor" (sp?) which is a sliding plate to regulate gas flow through metered orifice.  16" rifle length has been around for awhile, started back in 2000-ish by DPMS. It was problematic due to gas port sizing vs. loads and ambient temperatures. Extreme cold weather messed up the reliability.  I initially didn't want to go there with the MOA barrel but looking at my match schedule, never shot any matches in middle of winter so that took the low temperatures out of the equation.  Mine has been good using adjustable gas block/alum BCG/Taccom ultralight buffer system.

Edited by PacMan

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...
10 minutes ago, Screaminyz said:

This place has the Voodoo barrel in stock and on sale.

http://vtsupply-com.3dcartstores.com/Voodoo-165-Rifle-Length-Evo-Ultra-Lite-750-COR-3-Gun-Barrel_p_2338.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have one of these, soft shooting and accurate. 1/2" groups @ 100yds.  Chamber is pretty tight, won't extract wolf gold, but runs everything else. 

Perhaps consider a Stretch 16 (or their new Stretch 15) ... they use an intermediate length gas system with a reduced gas port. Amazing accurate and soft shooting barrels. Certainly shoots nicer than my 18" rifle gas Nordic barrel

On 4/2/2018 at 9:51 AM, bagdrag said:

Anybody with issues using these rifle gas less than 18" length barrels?  I always hear dwell time could be a problem or is the gas port generously sized?

Nope.  Been using my MOA 16" rifle length in the last few years for 3 gun and not experienced any issues besides the nut behind the trigger not doing his job :lol:.  My SLR gas block is turned 1/2 closed since I'm running alum carrier and Taccom UL buffer.  I was concerned about running it during the winter practices but that was unfounded.

Edited by PacMan