Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Anyone tried Prima SV and Prima V?

B_RAD

14 hours ago, muncie21 said:

Pretty darn close I'd say, at least at this powder charge level

image.png.2db5c6a6a81e033118e8c39ed9e104ea.png

In my .40 loads they start to diverge a bit.  I need less Prima V powder to make more velocity.

image.png.6067beb5069cd8007d3975581270b029.png

Those are very helpful numbers.  I would say it looks like it is a great savings...use less powder and spend even far less on the powder.  Win win!

6 hours ago, CrashDodson said:

Thanks for that.  Are you shooting V because it works better for both 9 and 40 or because its cheaper than 9.5?

I use the Prima V because it's cheaper than N320, almost as clean (can get smokey when temp/humidity is high) and meters a bit better too.  I've tried ba9.5 for 9, however it was requiring more powder to make same PF as N320 (with no significant benefits), so I decided  to stop

2 hours ago, StuckinMS said:

Those are very helpful numbers.  I would say it looks like it is a great savings...use less powder and spend even far less on the powder.  Win win!

Savings looks like only $90 savings for 10,000 rounds which is about a year's worth for us avid weekend warriors

6 minutes ago, Sarge said:

Savings looks like only $90 savings for 10,000 rounds which is about a year's worth for us avid weekend warriors

But we have 2 weekend warriors and have ordered over 28,000 bullets so far this year and shot 70% or more.  Have 7500 coming in tomorrow.   We just started practicing 3 afternoons per week live fire.  Not but a couple of hours at a time though. Unfortunately that 4 letter word that starts with w@#$ gets in the way lol

Edited by StuckinMS

6 minutes ago, StuckinMS said:

But we have 2 weekend warriors and have ordered over 28,000 bullets so far this year and shot 70% or more.  Have 7500 coming in tomorrow.   We just started practicing 3 afternoons per week live fire.  Not but a couple of hours at a time though. Unfortunately that 4 letter word that starts with w@#$ gets in the way lol

If you shoot 50k then you will save $450. My point is if you like a powder use it but don't ever buy powder based on price because, except for free brass it's the cheapest part of the equation.

Just to throw some things out there...

Comparing V or SV to Clays or TG isn't really apples to apples. While they are similar in that they are granulated, or small disc, the Nobel Sport options are single base powders ( no NTG).  While charge weights/velocities may be similar, the pressure curves are likely somewhat different. 

However, BA 9.5, SHOULD be a very close comparison to N320, in structure, composition, and burn rate.  

It would be my choice for .40 major. 

Will V or SV work? Probably so, but they designed them as 12ga powders, which is fine if that's all that is offered, but it's not. 

3 hours ago, Ssanders224 said:

Just to throw some things out there...

Comparing V or SV to Clays or TG isn't really apples to apples. While they are similar in that they are granulated, or small disc, the Nobel Sport options are single base powders ( no NTG).  While charge weights/velocities may be similar, the pressure curves are likely somewhat different. 

However, BA 9.5, SHOULD be a very close comparison to N320, in structure, composition, and burn rate.  

It would be my choice for .40 major. 

Will V or SV work? Probably so, but they designed them as 12ga powders, which is fine if that's all that is offered, but it's not. 

I'm shooting some of your remaufactred 180 gr ammo and really like it but need to find a recipe when I run out. I'm gonna set up my 650 for .40.  

5 minutes ago, B_RAD said:

I'm shooting some of your remaufactred 180 gr ammo and really like it but need to find a recipe when I run out. I'm gonna set up my 650 for .40.  

Awesome. Long loaded? 

Then my suggestion would be to grab some BA 9.5, and some PD 180s, load them to 1.180",  get charge weight right, and rock and roll. 

You can go with SV, but there is no reason to.  The slightly higher burn rate will not change your shooting at all. 

They designed the BA 9.5 for pistol loads, and it is very very similar to the all mighty N320, so why not use it? 

Ive heard that it may take a tenth or two more charge than 320, but that's negligible . 

1 hour ago, Ssanders224 said:

Awesome. Long loaded? 

Then my suggestion would be to grab some BA 9.5, and some PD 180s, load them to 1.180",  get charge weight right, and rock and roll. 

You can go with SV, but there is no reason to.  The slightly higher burn rate will not change your shooting at all. 

They designed the BA 9.5 for pistol loads, and it is very very similar to the all mighty N320, so why not use it? 

Ive heard that it may take a tenth or two more charge than 320, but that's negligible . 

I'm shooting it in a G24. Your stuff has really been extremely accurate out if it. 

Glad you chimed in. I figure you may know a thing or two. 

Anyone needing some good ammo should definitely give Precision Delta a try. 25% off remanufactured is a good great deal too. 

Thanks for the info!

Edited by B_RAD

33 minutes ago, B_RAD said:

I'm shooting it in a G24. Your stuff has really been extremely accurate out if it. 

Glad you chimed in. I figure you may know a thing or two. 

Anyone needing some good ammo should definitely give Precision Delta a try. 25% off remanufactured is a good great deal too. 

Thanks for the info!

Ah!

Well at Glock length id go 9.5 for sure.

Glad the ammo is working well for you!

On 8/4/2017 at 10:27 PM, Sarge said:

If you shoot 50k then you will save $450. My point is if you like a powder use it but don't ever buy powder based on price because, except for free brass it's the cheapest part of the equation.

Where are you buying 320n?  Cause powder valley pricing would make it 226 per 8lb and prima v is 8.8 lbs at 112.  I could buy 1200 bullets from bbi with the savings. 

16 hours ago, StuckinMS said:

Where are you buying 320n?  Cause powder valley pricing would make it 226 per 8lb and prima v is 8.8 lbs at 112.  I could buy 1200 bullets from bbi with the savings. 

But thats enough powder to load maybe 12-15k rounds? You still have to spend another $1100 or so on bullets so like I said even expensive powder is cheap by comparison.

Gcso12: for your Sig try starting around 3.2gr of Prima SV for 135gr ACME. Did some load tests this weekend with my CZ and 135s and some 147s, and another put a few 135s through his 320 X5.

One thing became very apparent: the 320X doesn't seem to like low PF loads, so will likely need lighter recoil springs below 135ish PF. Think his was stovepiping with 125 or 130. Will try n get data up this week if have time. It also had a good bit lower velocity than the CZ at same charge weight, ~ 0.2-0

3gr more to match Vel. 

CZ Tac Sport ate everything, from 120PF and up. Got some very good SDs too.

Edited by O_O