Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Recommendations for a six shot steel revolver?

One of our local clubs sponsor a steel shoot that limits revolvers to Six shots with iron sights, my 67 year old eyes prefer a longer sight radius than my 5" 625. My current options are purchasing a model 25-2 with 6" barrel  or converting my model 25 classic for moonclips as reloads are on the clock and most stages require a minimum of 10 shots. A 610 6" would be ideal however their costs are prohibitive   the minimum power factor for this match is 140, are there any other options I should be considering?

If I had to do reloads on the clock and was limited to 6, I'd rather be reloading a 625 no matter the barrel length. 

If you are dead set on a longer barrel, there are 6,7, and 8 3/8" 686s that TK can cut for moons. 

Another option could be to make a barrel for your 625, with whatever length and weight you liked. 

Go with the 25-2.  It's a great gun for Steel Shooting.   I load 3.0 to 3.5 grains of Bullseye  with a 230 grain bullet.  Very accurate and recoil is nothing so you can easily transfer from target to target..   If you don't miss you don't have to worry about reloads but if you do, there is no gun out there that loads faster then a 25 with moons. 

given those requirements of longer sight radius, reloads on the clock, and a min power factor of 140 your best option is going to be a model 25-2 in 6.5" or 8 3/8

The most cost effective route would probably be finding a barrel on the forums here or ebay, I always see 6 inch and 8 inch 45 barrels for sale on the cheap.

All the input has been appreciated, my first step will be to cut down a few 45 colt cases to ACP length and fire them thru my 6" classic, I will test for velocity, accuracy and recoil. If I am not happy with the outcome, there is a 25-3 for sale locally, I may have to check it out. Although the 45acp has lost it's allure for USPSA  I enjoy having one or two around, with the right bullet they are great bowling pin guns.