Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shot gun ammo

Lawfog734

There are two main ways to think about shotgun ammo for 3 gun (assuming you are referring to birdshot).  You can stick with one choke like an IC, and run different ammo for different stages (such as 1145s for easy stuff, 1200 for most everything, and 1300 for hard knockdowns).  Or you can run one ammo like 1200 for everything and adjust with different chokes such as cylinder, IC, LM etc.  Or do a combination of the two.

I find it easiest to run 1200 fps birdshot and adjust chokes per stage design.  I will run 1145 fps if its just clays. 

What are you running for a shotgun? Not everything runs 1145 FPS reliably.

I run Winchester AA through mine. That being said I'm a dealer so I pay cost on my ammo. I have seen guys run the cheapest ammo they can find( Monarch, Academy brand) and it shoot well for them and it cycles fine.

• 3 weeks later...

I've been laughed at for using it, but it works for me and cycles my gun.  I can buy ESTATE loads in 7.5 or 8's,  1 1/8oz of shot and 3 1/4dram powder for $5.48/box..

These give you a little more oomph with the same amount of OZ. Shot, without paying $8-10+ per box.. I always keep a box or 2 of prairie storm, or Rem Long range handy for the spinners, or LONG knockdowns.  As for slugs I'd suggest a low recoil slug that shoots well in your gun. Fiocchi comes to mind. As always test it in YOUR gun and make sure it will work.  It's no fun having a single shot semi auto lol.

Edited by Balwolley

Like others have said, find what your gun likes. In my Benellis, I use Federal bulk packs for practice, Winchester AA light target, heavy target or Super handicap (all pattern about the same in my guns) 7 1/2 or 9, depending on steel or clays. I use Federal truball low recoil slugs. 

Buy a box of each brand and speed shells, set up a pattern board and test them in your gun, then you will know what works best. 

Hurley

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On ‎8‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 4:28 PM, Lawfog734 said:

I'm thinking about getting into 3 gun and I'm wondering what kind of ammo to get?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have used several brands, I shoot a Saiga and have found that when the weather gets hot the hulls get soft and do not feed well.  I only use Winchester AA's due their hulls being strong