Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

shooters with disabilities

JAB

so i have few medical problems that prevent me from moving fast or shooting low ports,anyone know how some one with physical disability can move up in class its getting frustrating when i see that my scores are good but my time sucks and that is why i finish low

Edited by JAB

At the risk of sounding like I'm copying Clint Eastwood, we all have limitations. I can't shoot well enough to be a GM and my only disability is I'm not good enough. 

I'm curious though, Classifiers generally require no movement or excessive bending etc. You should be able to shoot 100% on most classifiers if you practice and are good enough.

I'm probably 50 pounds overweight, so I can't move at GM speed.  Approaching 50 years old is not helping either.  Like Sarge said we all have limitations.  Don't let your mental self convince your physical self that you can't do something.  Don't tell yourself, I can't do that because of this disability.  Try to find a solution.  Sometimes you can and sometimes you can not.  Just make the best with what you have.  Look for improvements in the things you can control: your draw, transitions, and reloads.  Also, to use a Steve Anderson term, think about shooting sooner.  You may not be able to run fast but you can have your gun up and ready to shoot immediately as a target appears around a barricade.

I shot in a steel challenge match with a man in a wheelchair.  On smoke and hope he had to shoot two targets one handed because of the wide transitions and his inability to turn that far.  His scores and mine were neck and neck all day.  I was shooting open and he was shooting a Glock 19.  He wasn't letting his limitations slow him down.

Honestly, don't worry about the other shooters.  At the end of the day, if you are having fun, that is all that matters.  

4 hours ago, EEH said:

I always tell the other shooters,,you can't win-- you don't want an old man to beat you.

if you beat me who cares you beat an old man !

Excellent! I have had a GM brag about winning a club match and nobody being close. I said I'm almost 20 years older and only a B shooter soyou better win!

It's tough to overcome some physical challenges.  I'm a left leg above knee amputee and I absolutely have to keep foot(singular)work in mind when going through a stage plan!  My goal is to take as few steps as possible and I have to shoot faster with better hits than most.  Focus a lot on your accuracy and speed while shooting.  THEN work on efficiency of movement while still maintaining rapid fire and good hits.

Feel free to message me if you have any specific questions!  I'd be happy to share my experiences.