Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1301 stock adjustment

blacklab

I've been shooting a 1301 for a few months and I have to say it's a great gun. The only problem I have is it shoots 4" high and 2" right with slugs and patterns high right with birdshot. Up until now I've been dealing with it but it's time to make some adjustments. I shoot right handed and I've checked YouTube and the web but there don't seem to be any good info on how the shims work. Does anyone have a suggestion on how to shim the stock to make it shoot lower. The shim is marked 50, 55, 60, and 65, where should I start? Or do I just have to go through the shims doing trial and error? 

Shimming the stock may or may not make it shoot lower, but the bigger the number the more drop the stock has. From what I see, I would try the 65. Make sure you put it in in the right way so you don't change the cast, or left right, of your stock. I run a 65 equivalent on my Benellis and usually set them up that way for others.

8 hours ago, Paul49 said:

Was there information in the owner's manual that came with the shotgun?

Also, there was some talk of this buried in the long 1301 discussion thread.

The manual only tells you how to put the shim in, it doesn't tell what each on would do. I was reading that thread on the 1301 awhile ago but don't remenber seeing anything about the shim, I'll go look again. 

On August 1, 2017 at 4:46 PM, kurtm said:

Shimming the stock may or may not make it shoot lower, but the bigger the number the more drop the stock has. From what I see, I would try the 65. Make sure you put it in in the right way so you don't change the cast, or left right, of your stock. I run a 65 equivalent on my Benellis and usually set them up that way for others.

I'll try the 65 and see what happens. What do you mean it may or may not lower the pattern? Is there a better way to make it shoot lower?

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My recollection of the long thread was the recommendation for the 65 shim to solve the problem described. I put that shim in before shooting my shotgun just based on the home fitting done with the guidance of the Patrick Kelly PDF linked above. My gun was then POI=POA at 50 yards with slugs. I am 6'1" for what that's worth.