Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Barrel keyholing after rapid fire

Dannybot

We attended a rifle hoser match this weekend.  My son shot his personal duty rifle.  I noticed two sideways bullet holes on the first stage, but thought he must have tagged a stage prop.

On the subsequent stages, it started doing it consistently after fourty rounds.  He had initially shot with his .30 cal suppressor, so we assumed it had a baffle strike.  He took the suppressor off for the last few stages, but it continued.  Always after right at fourty rounds. 

After the match, he did a few mag dumps.  No keyholes after a thirty round mag.  So he loaded up a big mag, and it started keyholing again for the last several.

Any ideas on what could cause this?  The flash hiderhad no fouling that we could tell, and as it is for a .30 cal, there is ample room to clear the bullet.

Edited by Dannybot

4 minutes ago, Dannybot said:

BCM chromlined, probably about 5,000.

From what I've read, iff those were 5,000 slow shots, the barrel should be still fine,

BUT, iff they were fired Very Rapidly, and continuing after the barrel is hot, 5,000

rounds just might require a new replacement barrel.    :) 

What kind of ammo?   Reloads?

Barrel is gone! Had one that would easily hold 3/4 M.O.A. when cold, after 20-30 rounds fairly fast, not even "stage fast" would only put 1 out of 5 on a full size I.P.S.C. metric target at 100 yds. Let it cool down and back to 3/4 M.O.A. What causes this??? I don't know, but I do know you need a new barrel. B.T.W.  mine was a stainless steel match barrel with around 4500, from one of the best in the business. The new one from same place has over 8000....... Moral of the story????? Your Barrel

is cooked!

15 minutes ago, kurtm said:

Barrel is gone! Had one that would easily hold 3/4 M.O.A. when cold, after 20-30 rounds fairly fast, not even "stage fast" would only put 1 out of 5 on a full size I.P.S.C. metric target at 100 yds. Let it cool down and back to 3/4 M.O.A. What causes this??? I don't know, but I do know you need a new barrel. B.T.W.  mine was a stainless steel match barrel with around 4500, from one of the best in the business. The new one from same place has over 8000....... Moral of the story????? Your Barrel

is cooked!

Kurt, any idea how hot that barrel was getting temp wise? As metal expands when it's heated, I wonder if maybe the barrel had not been heat treated correctly before it was installed.

What ever 20-30 rounds will generate in about a minute. I doubt it was not properly heat treated. If it wasn't, it would be  complete anomaly from the this maker. And besides, it worked perfectly for around 4000 rounds of the same type of 3-gun shooting.

• 1 year later...

I'm shooting a 38 super comp; great gun maker and I have 55,000 rounds through the gun.  When it gets hot from rapid fire, it is key holing.  Do you guys think my barrel is shot??

I'm shooting Hornady HAPs .... Good bullet; straight wall case so crimp isn't an issue.  My load has been the same for all 55,000 rounds.

7 minutes ago, sophiasmith said:

I'm shooting a 38 super comp; great gun maker and I have 55,000 rounds through the gun.  When it gets hot from rapid fire, it is key holing.  Do you guys think my barrel is shot??

I'm shooting Hornady HAPs .... Good bullet; straight wall case so crimp isn't an issue.  My load has been the same for all 55,000 rounds.

Sounds like it. 55k of pretty fast 38SC major would probably do that.