Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Uspsa load...sort by headstamp?

1911FL

3 minutes ago, 1911FL said:

Do you find it worth the trouble to sort by headstamp?  

Have you seen a noticeable increase in accuracy as a result of doing this? 

Thanks for your feedback. 

Some do but more don't sort. I sort very methodically since it helps with oal, SD, etc. Not sure but I would think accuracy would be improved somewhat but not enough for our game.

I couldn't notice a difference between sorted and un-sorted in 40 major or 9 minor.  However, I could feel a difference with sorted brass in 9 major.  If you can't feel a difference and they all make power factor, it isn't worth sorting.  

The only time I will sort by headstamp is if I'm loading for a major match. I'm pretty sure it makes no noticeable difference, but I'm OCD that way. Loading primarily 9 minor and 40 major, I've never had an ammo malfunction. 

I continue to sort pistol brass by head stamp -- and I swear it's for more valid reasons than just my OCD, hehehe.

I agree that there's no tangible accuracy difference when mixing brass between the better brands. But the thing is, you have to sort through the brass to some degree to inspect for bad cases anyway. And while you're doing that it makes sense to sort out the problem brands (AMERC, FM, etc.). And while you're reading the brands you might as well sort by head stamp.

The other advantage of sorting by head stamp is that you don't get those hitches in the press stroke when you run across the occasional crimped primer pocket. Not a big deal admittedly, but it isn't nothing.

I never used to sort, but I do now.  This is for 9 mm, and I started doing it while over at a bullseye forum.  Those guys are trying to group 1 inch at 50 yds.  Although it doesn't pertain to us uspsa folks I shoot a glock and I need all the accuracy I can get.  I don't know if my accuracy improved but my oal, and sd have.  One thing I have found is the crimp measurement is way more consistent, and when running federal or Winchester cases my press is a lot smoother.  Before I run a batch I back off the crimp die and run a case through.  When I get to the crimp station I run it down until the measurement of the case mouth is equal to the measurement at the base of the Bullet in the case.  Case wall thickness is different among different manufacturers so by not sorting you might have more or less crimp than needed.  For our game probably not needed but it may help.  What I do is while watching tv I just set out 4 or 5 ziplock bags that are marked for the popular cases and just sort away, plus you get to visually check you brass and I chuck the crap stuff.  

I do and I think it helps in all the above mentioned reasons.  I just use Win for 9mm, Federal SP for .45ACP and LC for .223/5.56.  I and a friend used to sell a lot of brass a few years ago and it was easy to weed out what we personally used as we sorted the very mixed brass from a range we got it from.  I also use the small primer .45 brass so only one primer size and just use Tula SRM primers for everything.  Makes it a lot easier.  When I go shooting and scrounge up all the brass I can I just sort it while watching (sort of) TV. Then I just save everything I don't use, deprimed and stainless pinned,  and wait for another brass shortage to sell it.

Years ago, I used to sort headstamps when I was getting a lot of setback with mixed headstamp.  Went to an EGW-U die, havent had to sort since.  Life is too short. 

Every match I shoot is essentially a lost brass match.  If it isn't actually, it is for me because I RO.  So there is no way I'm going to spend the time sorting headstamps.  I shoot way to much for that.  I pay attention to headstamps in 45ACP.  I bought 8000 1-fired RP brass I save for Bullseye loads.  I used mixed headstamp brass for Major and games.  If I use the same bullet in each, I get the same accuracy.  SDs are in the single digit range.  When I start loading 9mm Major, I'll reconsider.  Knowing me, I'll probably just buy all the same headstamp brass and be done with it.

I do, but hey, I'm a weirdo. Gives me a chance to discard stepped cases and junk and I also separate into major & minor brass. As mentioned above, just my OCD kicking in. My reasoning, it is a variable I can control pre-match so why leave it to chance. 

As as for the time investment issue, I agree it's not worthwhile. I sort brass when the wife and I are relaxing outside, chatting about the week and having a few cocktails. I have the time so I do, for now at least. 

I do because I shoot 9 major, I separate brass that I don't want to use. IMT, Ammoload, and any other stepped brass get tossed into the recycling bucket. Any brass with anything to do with Russia get tossed into the same bucket (cause I'm a child of the cold war :wacko:), military brass gets put into a separate bucket that I give to a buddy with a 1050 (I have a Super Swage, but I shoot too much ammo to deal with that step). It also gives me the chance to catch the 9 Makarov cases that my brass sorter won't catch (another Russian plot :P). Accuracy, Meh, like has been said, at the ranges in the USPSA game, it's a moot point.

Here is my story:

I have a Ruger .30-06 that can shoot 0.75-1.25" groups at 100 yards if I do my part.

I sorted by cases and got 0.75-1.25" groups. I mixed my cases up and randomly shot them and got 0.75-1.25" groups.

I loaded rounds for my pistols and then I would sort them by head stamp and shoot them (without looking until each group was fired) and in all cases (.45 Auto, .38 spl, .40 S&W, and .38 Super), the mixed cases had a slightly lower average group size and smaller Std. Dev. I wondered about things since in EVER instance, the average group size for the mixed cases was very slightly lower—but not statistically significant at 95% confidence interval.

If you go to Bullseye matches, you'll only find the "consistency in anything means accuracy" groups sorting cases, and then pretty much only for 9x19. In fact, the most common sorting for 9x19 for accuracy is to take the longest cases (no matter the head stamp) and save those for important matches.

In all shooting sports, accuracy is effected by head space "slop"—and then I read about folks trimming cases that head space on the case mouth, and are already shorter than optimum, because "consistency means accuracy." They would never push the shoulder of their rifle rounds back 0.010", but think NOTHING of doing it to 9x9 and such. 

Finally, if it make you feel better, do it, but I REALLY recommend that more folks test and not just assume.

I used to sort even nickel separated and what not.  But I found that for me, there wasn't enough difference if any for the hassle. And when you are loading 50,000-70,000 rounds per year it is time consuming.  I do however use a Redding carbide push thru die and then proceed with my loading process using the lee underside die.  I have not tried trimming cases, but I am shooting uspsa and not bullseye.  If I were I may even have a different gun setup.  Do you own testing and log your results.  Every gun, bullet, powder, c.o.a.l., and case combination is different and bottom line is: only you can determine what measures up to your standards.  

• 3 months later...

Not worth it to me in 40 or 45.  Didn't see much of a difference at USPSA distances to bother with.  

Not currently shooting 9 Major, but when I do I will definitely sort by headstamp!  

It makes little difference in accuracy, but you sort to get rid of the junk brass, mainly FM, AmmoLoad, IMT and MaxxTech because they all have the same stepped case. It's not a matter of if, it's a matter of when. It will separate in the chamber leaving you with a dead gun. Plus published loads are not correct for these cases because of the reduced volume. And it does not pop out easily like a squib, because it's just a brass sleeve in the chamber. This especially happens with Major and PCC.

crappy-brass.jpg

I was reading postings at Benchrest Central and Accurate Shooter about weighing cases and checking case capacity.

The consensus was you have to be shooting over 300 yards for case variations to matter. 

I'm 67, I drink too much coffee and I'm starting to get cataracts and my best groups are fired by accident.

Your just going to have to get use to using firearms that throw perfectly good brass away and other shooters picking up your brass.

Signed

Cowboy who keeps all his brass. :D

VwaT1po.jpg