Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

USPSA Limited Major what gear to get?

Welcome aboard, Joker   :) 

Great question    :bow:

From my experience, the correct answer is very personal,

and I'd begin with what kind of experience with pistols

do you currently have?

Are you used to shooting Glocks?   or CZ's?  or 1911's?

42 minutes ago, JokerBravo said:

I have shot Glocks, Sigs, FNs and 1911s.

Which did you prefer ?

Do you currently own one of these?

I always recommend people start out with whatever they are comfortable

with, and they currently own.

No reason to go out and spend a bunch of $$$ without knowing what you like.    :) 

The Springfield arm competition model is a good shooter.  Shot one for 2 years before going to an edge.  My son shoots one now in production and limited also.   Easy to work on and a stiffer frame than the glock

Edited by StuckinMS

6 minutes ago, Balakay said:

Any decent Limited gun can be sold down the road for a small loss if your tastes change. Think of it as a lease/rental.

That is very true! Just buy smart and you can't lose.  If you have to sell for a couple hundred less than you pay then it will still have been cheap fun.  I was lucky with the fact that the people in our club are very willing to let you shoot a match with their gear, guns, and ammo and they had a wide variety. I couldn't afford a full custom so I ended up with a Dawson Precision edge with their upgrades for 2295. 

I'm using a gen 4 G35 with a zev tech ultimate trigger, Warren sights, Dawson ice magwell and some grip tape. 

The gun is plenty for my skill level. maybe once I make A or M, I'd consider a better gun. 

The gun doesn't make the shooter. The shooter makes the gun.

Pick a gun that is familiar and that will make you happy.... and still let you eat and support the family. The initial purchase is a one time thing and can be re-sold if you decide you want to upgrade. Until then the money you DID NOT spend will keep you in ammo and supplies while you decide if you want to go DEEP into the sport. 

Im going to toss out some advice, take it or dont but whatever gun you choose should fit you & be reliable.  Change sights if you want or other drop in parts but if you choose to really customize it, expect the resale value to at best stay the same or go down.  Example... buy glock, decide you dont like grip so you send it off & have it stippled, maybe reshape trigger guard just the way you like it.  Year later you want a new gun.  Lets see, you paid $600 for gun, $200 grip work, added nifty trigger & sights.  Most times you will take a loss on all your gunsmith work plus a deduction on basic gun used price.  Your grip work fits you perfect.  You love your trigger.  None of these changes work for me.  I pay you less because youve had all this custom work done to it.  If I buy a used gun in most circumstances I will pay more for 1 thats had no permanent customization.  Watch classifieds.  You will see what I am saying.  

14 hours ago, Covfefe said:

The gun is plenty for my skill level. maybe once I make A or M, I'd consider a better gun. 

This is a common sentiment that I really don't understand or agree with. If your goal is to make M, that  can be accomplished with any platform. If you are already acknowledging that there are better guns (for you) than the Glock, why not upgrade , if finances allow, to make your progress easier.   Practice  is still paramount but C/D shooters will benefit from nice triggers, better balanced guns, etc. 

I am not advocating every new competitive shooter buying $6000 Limited gun but the theory of "Buy once, cry once" makes sense to me. 

If you love Glocks, no reason not to upgrade one--sights, trigger, stipple. However, the price point to enter the world of steel framed Limited guns is not that much more expensive.  You can buy a CZ TS or Tanfo Elite Limited for ~1100 (less if used).  There are some nice deals right here on the Forum

1 hour ago, Balakay said:

This is a common sentiment that I really don't understand or agree with. If your goal is to make M, that  can be accomplished with any platform. If you are already acknowledging that there are better guns (for you) than the Glock, why not upgrade , if finances allow, to make your progress easier.   Practice  is still paramount but C/D shooters will benefit from nice triggers, better balanced guns, etc. 

I am not advocating every new competitive shooter buying $6000 Limited gun but the theory of "Buy once, cry once" makes sense to me. 

If you love Glocks, no reason not to upgrade one--sights, trigger, stipple. However, the price point to enter the world of steel framed Limited guns is not that much more expensive.  You can buy a CZ TS or Tanfo Elite Limited for ~1100 (less if used).  There are some nice deals right here on the Forum

All fair points...especially the first one (G35 can get me to M). Your logic is correct; a committed shooter may as well buy the grail gun off the bat. 

I already had the G35. Held a stock CZ and it didn't feel great in my hand; I didn't like trigger either. If I ever do get a chance to try a tuned CZ or Tanfo, I probably buy it. In the mean time the G35 does fine for my local needs.

Maybe it's my unconscious mind saying "are you really committed to do what needs to be done or do you want new gadgets?".

If you've already got a G35, I'm guessing you have 4 or more mags for it? If you've got one already my advice would be to get a capable holster (bladetech or something similar) and mag pouches and run with that for a bit. 

If you don't have a gun that will let you shoot Limited Major then I would tell you to pump the brakes on buying anything just yet. My reasoning is this, it sounds like you're already looking past the Glock as a "starter gun". That gets really expensive if you buy a Glock, a rig and then in 6-8 months get a CZ, Tanfo or 2011 because now you're changing platforms and need a whole new rig. You may also need to get used to how the new gun feels, so your scores may take a dip. 

If you are looking past the Glock to something "better" I would say hold off and save up that difference to get one of those "better" platforms because you'll enjoy the sport more If you have the gear you really want. In the meantime if you have a gun already, see if it qualifies for production or something and shoot in that class until you can get your Limited gear. 

CZ and Tanfos show up on here and GunBroker for around 1k used, often with magazines and maybe even some internal work. The other advantage they have is they can run factory ammo if you don't currently reload. The CZ and Tanfoglio guns aren't that much more than the Glock and would be worth saving for if they're what you want.

I shot a 35 for awhile, then got a TS and shot that for awhile, then switched to open and now shoot a 2011. I have medium/small hands. I didn't like the trigger of the glock, hence why I switched. The TS was heavy (good) and had an incredible trigger. But the grip was very big for me, even after a grip reduction, if I had bigger hands I think they are just as capable as a 2011.

The 2011 has the weight, the trigger, is easy to reload like a glock, and it is MUCH friendlier to small hands. I don't know that the orange is worth it over the regular one though. I don't much care for the thumbrest it comes with, I would probably still change the magwell... but the extra weight up front and the aggressive frame checkering might win me over (what's the price difference?)

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

14 hours ago, KrymSIX said:

If you've already got a G35, I'm guessing you have 4 or more mags for it? If you've got one already my advice would be to get a capable holster (bladetech or something similar) and mag pouches and run with that for a bit. 

If you don't have a gun that will let you shoot Limited Major then I would tell you to pump the brakes on buying anything just yet. My reasoning is this, it sounds like you're already looking past the Glock as a "starter gun". That gets really expensive if you buy a Glock, a rig and then in 6-8 months get a CZ, Tanfo or 2011 because now you're changing platforms and need a whole new rig. You may also need to get used to how the new gun feels, so your scores may take a dip. 

If you are looking past the Glock to something "better" I would say hold off and save up that difference to get one of those "better" platforms because you'll enjoy the sport more If you have the gear you really want. In the meantime if you have a gun already, see if it qualifies for production or something and shoot in that class until you can get your Limited gear. 

CZ and Tanfos show up on here and GunBroker for around 1k used, often with magazines and maybe even some internal work. The other advantage they have is they can run factory ammo if you don't currently reload. The CZ and Tanfoglio guns aren't that much more than the Glock and would be worth saving for if they're what you want.

Solid advice.  You will always be happier saving to get what you really want. And hour scores will reflect that.  

18 hours ago, KrymSIX said:

Price difference between the Orange and the normal TS is like 650ish (1100ish for the TS. 1750-1800 for Orange. But those prices may have changed)

Then that is no different than getting a 2011, Edges can be found for sub-2000 regularly with magazines, or I have seen new ones for ~1900 with no mags... The TS will come with 3 mags (if it was like mine), but you will still have to buy basepads and at least one more magazine, which is going to be ~300 in mags (160-180 in pads and guts, plus another prebuilt mag at 100). 

The real beauty of the TS in my mind is that you are getting a SAO gun that is completely competitive with a 2011 at like 1100 bucks plus mags, which is a significant difference. 

3 hours ago, Gooldylocks said:

Then that is no different than getting a 2011, Edges can be found for sub-2000 regularly with magazines, or I have seen new ones for ~1900 with no mags... The TS will come with 3 mags (if it was like mine), but you will still have to buy basepads and at least one more magazine, which is going to be ~300 in mags (160-180 in pads and guts, plus another prebuilt mag at 100). 

The real beauty of the TS in my mind is that you are getting a SAO gun that is completely competitive with a 2011 at like 1100 bucks plus mags, which is a significant difference. 

We're in complete agreement here. The standard TS is a heck of a deal and is very much ready to go right out of the box. The Orange I think is very cool, but the diminishing returns vs the TS aren't worth it if you're looking to absolutely maximize your dollars. 

9 minutes ago, KrymSIX said:

We're in complete agreement here. The standard TS is a heck of a deal and is very much ready to go right out of the box. The Orange I think is very cool, but the diminishing returns vs the TS aren't worth it if you're looking to absolutely maximize your dollars. 

Exactly the conclusion I came to when I ordered a second TS yesterday.  They only come with 2 mags now but I already have 4 with extensions from my first.  I then went to CZC and got the stuff I had already put on the first.  I'll have $1250 in the gun and will spend the other $450 that I could have put into a TSO on a couple cases of bullets.

Edited by aandabooks

• 2 weeks later...