Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best coating for Open 2011

Broncman

Got my CK slide and frame. Trying to figure out what coating I want to use so I can decide on color scheme for small parts. IE stainless beaver tail or regular steel.

I have KG Gunkoted quite a few 1911's and it eventually wears off on the slide rails. Other than that, I love the stuff.

What is the most durable? 

Black nitride color wears off the rails fairly quick but the treatment is there forever. Make sure gun is fitted and functioning perfect before getting it done cause it hardens the hell out of the surface. 

PVD is supposed to be harder than chrome but it's applied so thin that it's probably a toss up with hard chrome on longevity. Which is a long time. 

Some gun part manufacturers frown on nitride(high application temps.) and hard chrome (chemical  reaction)

I nitride or pvd  my builds unless customer requests hard chrome. 

That's my 2 cents worth.  Greg

I've had several DLC/PVD coated pistols and for the cost, I'm not impressed.  My single stack SV has silver spots on the trigger guard and it wasn't carried much at all.  And it was carried in a leather holster.  I've also had them rust through the PVD.  

I haven't had a hard chrome pistol in quite a while, but the ones I had never scratched or rusted.

On 7/28/2017 at 10:47 PM, CMV said:

Hardchrome is the most durable. 

On 7/28/2017 at 11:03 PM, toothandnail said:

Hard Chrome rusts very easy.

I am confused.

Not saying it can't happen but do you really see  a lot of hardchromed pistols with rust assuming reasonable care??

1 minute ago, Balakay said:

I am confused.

Not saying it can't happen but do you really see  a lot of hardchromed pistols with rust assuming reasonable care??

My gun is hard chromed and has been literally put away wet and it didn't rust. 

2 minutes ago, Sarge said:

My gun is hard chromed and has been literally put away wet and it didn't rust. 

That has been my (limited) experience as well.  25K rounds through my STI in hot/humid climate.  Shows some holster wear but no rust 

9 hours ago, Balakay said:

I am confused.

I have never personally had any experience with HC except when passing a new build from the finisher to the customer, However.

We have had numerous calls from guys who, after pulling their HC gun out of the sonic cleaner, are totally freaked out that it is nearly completely covered in rust.

Is does seem to be fairly easy to clean off, but that alone is enough for me to shy away from having one of mine done.

It does look very nice for a "chrome " like finish, we have done several Black Nitride/HC finish that look fantastic.

Edited by toothandnail
spelling

I've been in the process of coating all of my pistols to Cerakote and I really like the new Elite Cerakote as far as initial quality of finish goes. I will repost any durability issues later. Just now trying Elite series coatings as they are fairly new. 5d484093ac71e53bb9ce33773b5c2897.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seems that properly applied PVD finishes are the most durable by far.

I have a Fusion 1911 with matte black PVD/Ionbond on the frame and slide. I've had the pistol for 10+ yrs at this pointn and it shows absolutely zero corrosion of any kind in the areas with that finish. It was dropped pretty hard by a buddy that I let use it, and there are no scratches in the finish. There is no holster wear evident after literally 1000's of draws from kydex.

I assume that whoever Fusion used did it right.

I've got a CKARMS IDPA pistol with the black DLC finish.  I've shot about a dozen matches with it and dry fired a handful of times.  I noticed yesterday that the kydex holsters are wearing the finish at the front edge of the slide.  Looks sexy to me though!!

• 2 weeks later...