Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

why are S&B primers so cheap ?

StratRider

I keep finding S&B primers on sale for 2/3 the price of the CCI's that I normally buy.

What's up with that?  Is it just supply & demand in action?

It makes me very wary of purchasing them due to the "too good to be true" possibility.

Research shows that some folks claim there were bad batches and others are just fine with them - which of coarse just adds to the confusion.

Since I am reloading for IDPA competition, I would be upset if I bought and loaded thousands to find that there is an issue.

Thanks for any input.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, smitty0420 said:

where you finding them at?  I love them.  Hard to get now due the factory burning down or something.  

Cabela's  $20/1k   +$20 hazmat      + using code Coupon "77SHIP" for $5 S/H over $99 (Excludes Firearms)

Just ran some up to checkout to be certain and it works - the SPP's did have a warning that shipping could be up to 3 weeks.

5k shipped to TX (tax incl.) ends up at $26.72 / 1k to your door.

SUBTOTAL $99.95
SHIPPING $12.95
SHIPPING PROMOTION APPLIED - $7.95
TAX (76182-7603) $8.66
HAZARDOUS MATERIAL CHARGE $20.00

TOTAL
$133.61

Just now, Solvability said:

Local Cabelas has them for 20.00 at the store - 10% local tax but they work well and nothing is as cheap.

They charge tax on online orders if they have a store in your state so either way, The Man gets his cut.

too bad they wont let you use "ship-to-store" on primers.  Just tried, hoping to get the hazmat fee waived :)

I shoot them and like them.  I think they're a little harder than Winchester. So, I shoot them in practice only.  If you're gun is sprung right and you seat them deep enough, they'll go bang. 

The SP primers are all I have used in my Trubor over the past couple of seasons, never had one primer problem. I tried the SR primers in my 9 major load, couldn't make the primer fire. I put it in the gun 3 times and had 3 dents in the primer but no bang, thinking it was a bad primer, I did the same thing to 3 other rounds, same result. Then I took advantage of the 47 week language course that the Army put me through (Czech) and read the Czech part of the package. It translates out to "Primers for Kalashnikov", so that makes them as hard as CCI #41's. I sold them to a 3 gun buddy and he had no problem using them in his AR. I've had 20K of CCI 500's sitting on the shelf (just in case) but I'm going to continue to use the S&B's as long as I can get them.

Well, why don't you try and let the secret out lol?  Kidding aside, they work great for me, and you can get them for 19.99/k during Cabela's sales.  Between Winchesters, Remingtons, Ginex, S&B, and CCI, S&B and CCI are the only ones I can really say I liked...and S&B's are 2/3rds the price on sale.  I say stack'em deep.

The bad part is that it's hard to actually find them on the shelves in store and they won't ship to store for some reason either...so you're stuck paying taxes and the hazmat fee most of the time, which comes out to around $23/k if you order 20 boxes.  Still better than $30/k...

The cheapest I have got them at a Cabela's store was $17.99 (had a coupon!!). They are good to use, never had a problem. This week, they were $24.99, but normally I had bought them for $20 or so. Cabela's does not ship these things into my state (NJ), but I am lucky enough driving by the store in Hamburg often enough on business trips. Always stop and check on primers....and pick some up when the price is right.

43 minutes ago, muncie21 said:

I stack-em when they are on sale.  If you store them properly, they should outlast you.  They function fine in all the pistols I have, including my Orange which has a very light trigger pull.

How do you store them?

Some say they're harder to seat than CCI. I haven't found that to be the case with SPP. I do have that issue with their LPP. My only complaint with the SPP is that the bottom of the cup seems to be less rounded than CCI, so they're a little harder to pick up in Dillon primer tubes and more easily flipped. But they've worked fine in my Glock's and K-frames. And the price is usually hard to beat.