Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Suprising N340 result

RickT

My wife's sub-minor load is 3.7gr N320 behind Acme 115gr, a very soft shooting load for SC.  I had been using up some N340 behind Acme 122gr, but decided to try the 115gr Acme.  I was surprised at how low I could go in our 9mm 1911s with the N340.  Using 115gr Ranier as reference my wife,s N320 load is .2 gr below "book", while my N340 load, 4.5gr, is .5gr below "book".  I might even be able to go down to 4.4gr, but things are pretty soft where I am.  I'll chrono the ladder from 4.5 to 5.0gr next week.

My wife would kill me if I changed her load, but I have a great deal of W231 to go through once I've finished off the N340 (8 lbs to go).  The N320 is right on the edge at 3.6gr so I run 3.7gr in her gun.  I figure I'll get to the W231 in about 6 months; don't know about 3gr, but that might be with a heavier bullet.

I have burned a lot of n340 with 115 grain jacketed and plated bullets.  4.8 grains is what I settled on shooting a stock Glock.  It is every bit as good as my 4.0 grains of n320 with the same bullets.  Obviously the 320 is more economical if you can get it at the same price as the 340.