Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mr Bullet Feeder collator to GSI tool head-if anyone cares

So if anyone needs detailed instructions on how to connect a Mr. Bullet Feeder collator with micro switch die to a GSI tool head here they are...

Step 1. Get a 3" piece of tubing that has an OD of 5/8" and an ID of 1/2" . It can metal or plastic. 

Step 2. Connect parts

Step 3. Run loader

This works for both 38/9mm and 45...

I haven't had any problem with the tool head. If you're trying to shoot conventional lubricated cast bullets, it won't work. The only way to shoot cast is if they're coated with something like Hi-Tek. It works great then. I'm waiting for a new mold that is a HP version of the 147gr RN . It will be a BB HP wiith no lube groove and coated with Hi-Tek. Also, the rotary plate doesn't like plain base bullets. It prefers bevel base. Plain can smear and drag.

Are they seating correctly? Is the die the correct one?  

FMJ RN 147GR. When the tool head does not jam up they seat just fine.

What happens is the bullets end up sitting in random positions on the tool head and will hit the seating die and jam up the bullet indexing wheel. 

I have a new green cap and bullet seating die in the mail and hopefully that fixes the issue. 

It almost sounds like you don't have enough bullets in the tube. If there are only a few they don't overcome the spring pressure and can stick. The other thing I would really look at is how clean and free the actual bullet chambers are in the index wheel. They should have just enough resistance to hold in but no more. 

The fact they're dropping in random positions points to something stopping them from stacking in the tube. 

They actually stack fine in the tube and i notice it jamming when i have a lot of bullets in the tube. If i insert bullets into it manually and push down things run well.

I will report back once i get the parts from GSI.

Also I talked to someone else at GSI and not one of the ladies who answers the phone up front. They intend to support any previous owners of tool heads they are just not selling any NEW tool heads.

It really sounds like your bullets are not fitting in the chambers. I crushed a couple of cases once when I was setting things up and bits of brass got into one or two of the chambers. It made a tight fit for the bullets and they would not load or drop freely from the index wheel chambers. 

1 hour ago, AbitNutz said:

It really sounds like your bullets are not fitting in the chambers. I crushed a couple of cases once when I was setting things up and bits of brass got into one or two of the chambers. It made a tight fit for the bullets and they would not load or drop freely from the index wheel chambers. 

Blow them out with air? It's impossible to see in the chambers with the tool head on. 

Do you have 650 or a 1050?

I have a 650. I imagine the 1050 is quite different. It still sounds like there is something in the chambers that are preventing the bullets from working smoothly. 

Did it ever work?

Are you using cast, lubricated bullets?