Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

First 3Gun Shotgun for Heavy Optics?? Beretta vs FN

Hawk21

Need some help to finally make a decision between the following:

FN SLP competition vs Beretta 1301 competition 

Price is almost indentical except the fact I would need a +3 from Nordic on the 1301.

Not a fan of benelli as they kick lick a mule and have heard rough things about the stoeger at 2k round mark, so I'd like to hear pros/cons from folks who have had their hands on both of the above.

Thanks 

So I ran an SLP for a number of years (basically wore it out).  The SLP is a very well built and rugged duty type shotgun.  Then I had the opportunity to try a demo 1301 at nationals and fell in love.  The 1301 just seems to fit me very well but it is also lighter and quicker handling than the SLP, IMO.  I have never shot any other shotgun as well as I can shoot the 1301.

Try and find someone with a SLP/SX2 you can try and the same for the 1301 and go with the one that suites you the best .

Best of Luck,

Jeff

In my opinion this is analogous to driving a Chevy work truck or a GMC Sierra Denali. They both get you where your going and they're both tough, one of them just does it's job and one makes you smile every time you turn the key.

I shot an FN when it first came out, high maintenance, finicky for ammo. Gun would let you down when you least expected it. Bought a 1301, just runs and runs, eats any ammo. It is a joy to shoot. Up there with the M2 as one of the best 3 gun shotguns. 

• 3 weeks later...

I've had an SLP for six or seven years, and I'm finally breaking down and getting a 1301. The SLP can take some tweaking. Mine runs 100% on 2-3/4 dram or more 1-1/8oz, and runs on 3d 1oz when it's clean.With a light spring and the clays piston, I know guys that got them to run great on light 1oz all day, though.  Functionally, it hasn't failed me in a long time. I have to keep the gas system wet with a thin lube like lucas CLP or Brownells CLP, but it runs like a champ. I like that it's an uncomplicated set of controls. 

It was fine back when we all stuffed shells one at a time holding four in the weak hand. It was/is OK for twins. But, the forend is so fat, and can't be thinned beyond a certain amount, that no matter how much time I put in and how open the port is, I hang up a lot on the forend loading quads, and I can stuff quads into a benelli or beretta without the same issues.  My frustrations with this shotgun have honestly kept me from shooting as much 3-gun as I should, and I've been too lazy to buy a new shotgun.

So, I have a 1301 on the way, I'll either sell the SLP or let one of the kids use it (they can't hold quads anyway!), and we will see what we get. I have an A400 extrema for birds, and I like it a lot, plus I've shot a few opened up 1301 comps that I liked, so that's what pushed me to try the 1301. If I don't like it, I'll probably give in to my benelli friends, who will relentlessly mock me for not listening to them in the first place. 

My FN SLP sits as a backup gun, and currently setup for Open with speedloaders. One thing that always bothered me about it was it would do a weird hangup time to time where you had to reach for the bolt handle and give it a slight pull back to get the next round to chamber. It didn't happen often but i've seen a lot of FN SLP do this and is one of the reason why a lot of shooters are known as ex SLP users.

• 1 month later...

SLP’s are great slug guns, but the gas system can be a bit finicky, and when you find your piston/load combo they might discontinue your piston.

As for heavy optics, don’t forget to get a Nova or Supernova set up, some matches still like to see pump guns in those divisions!  There is something fun about trying to run that pump at the highest speed you can, and then seeing what a Kelley or Carillo can do.

• 6 months later...

I second the Beretta as well if you are set on those two options.  Mine shoots the soft loads without issue.  Like others have said...can't go wrong with the M2 either.  I have a feeling a Benelli is in my future.  I have owned and shot both quite a bit...I just prefer the inertia guns for their ability to run dirty.  With kids in sports and all...sometimes my guns don't get cleaned like they should.