Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ammo For Flasher Targets?

Mikecatt13

New to this game, looking at traveling to rock castle for the blue Ridge championship in october...I've only shot paper and poppers 100 yds and under so far in matches (used to shooting 200-300+ hunting) and noticed there will be flasher targets from 200-350 down there. Is 55gr ammo at 3000fps good enough to show hits on those targets or should I take some heavier loads along like 69gr SMK?

12 hours ago, Mikecatt13 said:

New to this game, looking at traveling to rock castle for the blue Ridge championship in october...I've only shot paper and poppers 100 yds and under so far in matches (used to shooting 200-300+ hunting) and noticed there will be flasher targets from 200-350 down there. Is 55gr ammo at 3000fps good enough to show hits on those targets or should I take some heavier loads along like 69gr SMK?

.308 works way better.  I have seen ROs not call hits on distant targets with poodle gun shooters.

jus' sayin'            :cheers:

Appreciate you guys helping me with my newbie questions! I am now leanin towards passing on blue Ridge this year and waiting till next year...mostly because after watching YouTube of the match it seems much more physical than mental stage planning. Im doing well so far on bay type stages at local matches but, while im fairly young, i do still have a few extra pounds im working off as part of my training. Also looks like a ton of fun but a long trip and I want to be as competitive as possible when I go so I might get in better shape before taking on a match like that

Running different ammo for long range is great as long as the discrepancy in trajectory and possible POI shift doesn't bite you in the rear.

Yeah, I know, zero for the long stuff and you should be good for 200 on in with the 55s.   I shot a few matches with two ammo types that I selected based on target distance.  It always bothered me.  You may get lucky and have no POI difference other than trajectory.  I was always waiting for that one stage where the POI difference would rear it's head and give me fits on a small piece of steel at 200 or so.

If I felt I needed to shoot 69s or 77s I would shoot them on every stage except for stages that were exclusively 100 yards with a rifle or less.

On 7/27/2017 at 8:04 PM, Mikecatt13 said:

Appreciate you guys helping me with my newbie questions! I am now leanin towards passing on blue Ridge this year and waiting till next year...mostly because after watching YouTube of the match it seems much more physical than mental stage planning. Im doing well so far on bay type stages at local matches but, while im fairly young, i do still have a few extra pounds im working off as part of my training. Also looks like a ton of fun but a long trip and I want to be as competitive as possible when I go so I might get in better shape before taking on a match like that

Don't wait.  Do it now.

I can't sign up early for Blue Ridge because my work schedule makes that time of year a virtual no-go for matches.

Shoot more matches, earlier, whenever you can.  Shooting matches makes you better.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I prefer heavier ammo for flashers.  I most definitely prefer heavier better BC bullets for long range targets.  I would say at the minimum I would use is the 68-69 gr. Options from hornady/Sierra.  Hornady being the less expensive option.  My go to bullet choices are the 69 TMK and the 75 hornady HPBT.  I have been shooting the TMK more recently because I use it for varmints in the winter and with the same load it gives me sub MOA out of my AR's and under half MOA out of my bolt gun.  The 75 gr. Hornady give me almost as good results, but I prefer the Sierra poly tip for the varmints.  I have not had any problem with them being a tipped bullet in my AR's, even though I've had people give me a look of disgust claiming that the poly tip will break/deform/blah blah blah in the semi auto.  But I've put nearly 5k through my 3gun  rifle without 1 problem... I must be lucky:wacko:

• 4 weeks later...