Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Columbia Cascade Sectional 2017 Match Video

Gooldylocks

Shot the CCS Championships last weekend. Had to shoot a borrowed gun, so there is some obvious gun handling stuff that wasn't good, but that is rather irrelevant to me since it wasn't my gun. What do you see as far as stage breakdown stuff? I should have:

1. not changed my stage plan on stage 2 at the last second and shot it outside in rather than inside out so I didn't forget the two leftmost steel (dumb),
  2. should have taken my time to get my hits and eliminated all the extra pickups on 4 (paper) and 5 (steel)
  3. reloaded earlier so I didn't run dry and forget the steel on stage 5 (dumb), 
  4. should have taken my time to nail the activator sequences on stages 6A and 9A, the activators were both plenty slow
  5. over-ran the last position on 7, had to step backwards to get the headshot
  6. should have not gotten a miss on 9B (dumb)

Thanks in advance everybody!

Watched this right after you uploaded, being subscribed and all. IMO you're picking nits if you shot HOA with a borrowed gun, aside from the obvious stage plan stuff that could be done better.

What failed on the gun this time?

Open is dumb. ;) 

Edited by MemphisMechanic

5 hours ago, EEH said:

That were my gun I wouldn't loan it to him anymore !

It's worse than you think same guy loaned out the same gun to another shooter as well, and that guy beat him too. 

PS the gun is pretty impressive it arrived from Atlas the Sunday before the match, got sighted in then 3 shooters ran it through the match winning HOA, 1st B, and 2nd B

I haven't figured out what the rental fee will be.  We figure somewhere between 700-800 rounds for the two days. 

Observations:  

• Makeup on steel, you know how to fix that.    
  • Forgetting stage plan(s), again you know how to fix that.  The two obvious ones on the video and shooting off plan on stage 4.  It worked out but it's not what you wanted to do.
  • On the prone stage much of the long movement was with both hands on the gun with just a little off the gun.  Have you tried/timed when it's best to take your hand off?

- Just another B class shlub

sad i missed the match. It's been one of my faves the last few years, but between the idaho state ride (dirtbike campout) and in-laws visiting, it was not to be. Gonna have to content myself with the inland empire sectional. Thanks for the great vid ryan. Clearly you suck, but you have identified exactly what you need to work on to suck less. :P It's awesome to see your progress in the last year. (and even more awesome to see you working L2 matches in your area). 

11 hours ago, Unibrain said:

I haven't figured out what the rental fee will be.  We figure somewhere between 700-800 rounds for the two days. 

Observations:  

• Makeup on steel, you know how to fix that.    
  • Forgetting stage plan(s), again you know how to fix that.  The two obvious ones on the video and shooting off plan on stage 4.  It worked out but it's not what you wanted to do.
  • On the prone stage much of the long movement was with both hands on the gun with just a little off the gun.  Have you tried/timed when it's best to take your hand off?

- Just another B class shlub

Thanks again for letting me shoot that bad boy. And I must say, that seemed like as quick a way as any to break in a new gun hahaha. 

Yea I totally agree on the first two points Jim. Definite failures on my part, just not in the right headspace and lacking trigger discipline on steel. Super dumb.

As far as 3, I have never timed it on really long runs like that, only shorter stuff. Basically for me if I can keep both hands on the gun and be shooting within a few steps it is quicker for me to do that, but I should really experiment with the longer distances like this. Very good observation, thanks.

10 hours ago, motosapiens said:

sad i missed the match. It's been one of my faves the last few years, but between the idaho state ride (dirtbike campout) and in-laws visiting, it was not to be. Gonna have to content myself with the inland empire sectional. Thanks for the great vid ryan. Clearly you suck, but you have identified exactly what you need to work on to suck less. :P It's awesome to see your progress in the last year. (and even more awesome to see you working L2 matches in your area). 

It is definitely a fun one, and Kristine, Nick and Mike knocked it out of the park this year. Thanks for all your kind words too, it has been a fun ride since starting in open.

17 hours ago, MikeBurgess said:

Disclaimer: I'm only a B level shooter

The biggest thing I see you (and almost everyone else) struggle with is the patience to shoot the dot, most of your makeups on steel are because of this.

For me, on steel it isn't the visual patience to shoot the dot. For me I put the dot in the middle of the plate... and karate chop the trigger right into the dirt. But yes, patience in the general sense is my struggle. Keith said it really well to Joe after he did the same thing as me on stage 5 (bunch of misses on the back right steel), "losing 3 seconds to save 2 tenths" or something like that. I thought that was a good way of putting it.

17 hours ago, DukeEB said:

What was the rental fee Gooldylocks?  :)
Are more pics going to be posted for that match?  It was a very fun match!

Haha I dunno what the rental is gonna be, and yes there will be more photos I do believe. Don't know when.

22 hours ago, MemphisMechanic said:

Watched this right after you uploaded, being subscribed and all. IMO you're picking nits if you shot HOA with a borrowed gun, aside from the obvious stage plan stuff that could be done better.

What failed on the gun this time?

Open is dumb. ;) 

My gun is AccuRailed. I broke a rail (after about 15k in the last year) and replaced them about a month ago. I haven't yet sent the gun to get new rails fit, so I didn't have a backup set. When I unbagged my gun on Friday it was all locked up and I saw one rail was broken. It must have broken like the last shot of my practice session on Thursday, and I didn't clean it that night and find out. 

12 hours ago, Gooldylocks said:

For me I put the dot in the middle of the plate... and karate chop the trigger right into the dirt.

I do the same thing. I’ve been shooting a lot of speed steel with a .22 and I can get away with the chop.  Might be time to set aside the .22 and focus on the open gun.