Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Suggestions for a new Production Pistol

I've also posted this in IDPA as I figured there was two separate groups of users on the forum to some degree.  I shoot both USPSA and IDPA so I'm trying both forums to see what the suggestions are.  Hopefully that's not an issue.

I'd like to ask a loaded question here and see where it goes.  I've always been a die hard M&P9 fan, from the very beginning.  I've had 12 of them, became an M&P armor and modified about 75 pistols since they came out with Apex parts, sights and other products from Speed Shooters.  In the last couple years life has side tracked me from shooting and I was thinking about selling the M&Ps to move into something totally different to help spur me back into shooting.  Now that I've been out of both IDPA and USPSA for a couple years I've lost track of some of the rules so I figured I'd ask for both rules help as well as advice on the new pistols.  So here's what I'm looking for...

1. Prefer NO Manual Safety - Which pretty much leaves me with only being able to choose a striker fired pistol otherwise I'd be interested in a CZ.

2. Standard capacity mag can't exceed 15 rounds because of Colorado laws, I don't want anything that makes it difficult to get mags.

3. Must be 9mm - No exceptions

4. Must also have a compact version available for carry and BUG matches.

5. Must have a trigger good enough from the factory that I don't have to overhaul it like I've done for years with the M&P - No exceptions

6. Should be IDPA SSP and USPSA Production Legal

Give me some suggestions here.  I'd be happy to entertain all ideas from people, but I've never been a Glock fan for some reason.  Although I should go check out the newest generation of them just incase they strike me differently now.

Thanks for the help in advance!

I'd say try a P320, but standard capacity for those is 17rds.  :(

Maybe a 5" PPQ or Q5 Match if you want to stick with striker fired.  They are 15-rd standard.  They have a 4" model PPQ for carry.  But you'd have to go to a single stack PPS for a BUG.

If you want hammer fired, you could also consider the P226/P229 family.  The P224 has been discontinued, but if you could find one, it would probably fall into your BUG category.

With the requirements you've listed the Walther Q5 Match is what I suggest. 

They're ready to shoot from the factory. 

Everything else is gonna take some type of tweak to get ready.  

Walther has several compact models. 

The cz shadow is awesome too. Just choose not to engage the safety. Legal for SSP and Production. 

Walther is gonna be cheapest. 

Edited by B_RAD

CZ P10C. Striker fired. Some ambi controls. IDPA and USPSA legal. $500 msrp. $30 mags. Install different sights and call it good.

Most of the full size guns other people have mentioned to you have a magazine capacity greater than 15. Not sure if the manufacturers have a CO/15rnd specific model of these pistols that otherwise have 16-19 round versions as standard.

You also need to read the division rules a little closer when you talk about a gun for IDPA CCP and/or BUG and using the same pistol for USPSA Production. This could very well lead you to a "one size fits none" solution.

Edited by rowdyb

1 hour ago, Nik Habicht said:

Glock 34 with 10 rounders for matches; Glock 19 with 15 round mags for carry.

Or go crazy and use the Glock 19 for everything.....

If I went Glock, I think I would just get a 19 and use it for everything.  I wouldn't shoot enough USPSA for it to really matter.

I know a guy who shot his way to B and probably Expert with a 26, so I don't think you'd be giving up much with a 19, unless you have Gorilla hands -- then the reloads can be a little trickier than with a fullsize frame....

Just making sure you know this.....

......the manual safety on a CZ isn't used in USPSA Production. You start with the hammer down and shoot the first shot double action. Many, including myself, replace the safety with one off a CZ Rami. They're super thin and just disappear.

6 minutes ago, Nathanb said:

The safety is on in production not just hammer down

Wrong!

It's like the safety is not there. It does have to work for equipment inspection but you do not use it at all. Same for IDPA SSP.  Safety off, hammer down. 

Springfield Armory 5.25 competition model.  Mag capacity is 19rnds and with parts from dawson can be extended to 23 rnds. Rear adjustable sight can be removed and there is a bracket to install in its place that will enable you to install a red dot if you decided to shoot carry optics.  One gun, shoot production, carry optics,  or even limited minor.  Great buy for under 900 bucks

Uh.. am I taking crazy pills or is there a reason why you wouldn't shoot an M&P9?

If you have to take a placebo via new gun to gin up enough motivation to come shoot, then nothing is going to change for you.

I'd guess he's just looking for alternatives from a very knowledgeable crowd,

and has received a LOT of very interesting conversation about alternatives    :)

And, your thoughts are also very valid - something else for him to consider    :bow:

8 hours ago, wtturn said:

Uh.. am I taking crazy pills or is there a reason why you wouldn't shoot an M&P9?

If you have to take a placebo via new gun to gin up enough motivation to come shoot, then nothing is going to change for you.

Part of the fun for me is the challenge of leaning a new platform. I've only shot the M&P in competition and it's time to move on. I don't take the competition aspect of it too serious, or I try not to because it's generally disciplining shooting at a B level and watching such better skilled guys and girls. But I don't specifically train for competition so I have to know going into it that I'll never be that good shooting a match ever couple months and never doing any dry fire.

49 minutes ago, Dieselvrr said:

If not a Glock fan, I would say P320 but not sure how you deal with mags in ban state

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

The P320 would be a prime example of the mag ban because I don't think you could get those mags at all before our ban and as such you can't claim you had them before. Which is fine, just narrows my choices till I move to Montana in a few years. Tired of the lame stuff going on in Colorado. 

2 hours ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

I'd guess he's just looking for alternatives from a very knowledgeable crowd,

and has received a LOT of very interesting conversation about alternatives    :)

And, your thoughts are also very valid - something else for him to consider    :bow:

Yes yes just looking to see what the opinions are and to make sure I wasn't missing something in the last couple years of being out of competitive shooting.