Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Get the most from a compensator with 9mm MINOR?

StealthyBlagga

I have a pistol with 4.5" barrel + 2-port compensator. I will be running MINOR power factor ammo (for 3-Gun). Give me some recommendations for powders that will get the compensator to work efficiently behind 115gr or 124gr bullets? Should I even consider going to a lighter bullet?

What are the steel match folks running?

8 hours ago, StealthyBlagga said:

I have a pistol with 4.5" barrel + 2-port compensator. I will be running MINOR power factor ammo (for 3-Gun). Give me some recommendations for powders that will get the compensator to work efficiently behind 115gr or 124gr bullets? Should I even consider going to a lighter bullet?

What are the steel match folks running?

Snoop around for Steel Challenge loads. Folks are running bullets in the 90-grain range. I remember Beven Grams telling me that he would run 95 or maybe 105 (I think) grain bullets loaded to his normal major velocity (not PF!) to keep the gun timing familiar.

A lot of the Steel Challenge Open shooters are shooting 90-95gr bullets using HS-6 or WAC.  Also a lot are using 115gr over around 5.4gr WAC.  They all seem to shoot flat.  The 155/5.4 WAC combo was dead flat, but that might change with a different comp.

• 2 weeks later...

Steel Challenge load

95 MG JHP, 6.8 Ramshot Silhouette, 1.045" oal, fed cases, win spp

9mm  4.15 bbl, old style T1 Steelmaster, 1335fps, 127 pf, 

2" -10 rnd groups, rested 50 yds

dot doesn't leave c-more free style

but loud as hell, plugs and muffs suggested

I've loaded to 7.4 Silh for 1390 fps, 132pf, accuracy and recoiled remained reasonable,

but didn't need it for Steel Challenge load

seemed louder to some bystanders but not all