Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Fiocchi Primers soft as Federal?

ngodwetrust21

I have two tanfoglio stock II pistols. I have one set up for matches which has a very light trigger and only works on federal primers. The other is set up to pop anything I can get my hands on for practice.

I ran out of the S&B primers I was using for my practice ammo and the next cheapest they had in stock were some Fiocchi primers. I broke the practice gun during dryfire one night and took the match gun out to do some live fire using the Fiocchi ammo I had loaded. Out of 200 rounds, I did not have a single problem. Was this just luck or are these Fiocchi primers soft enough to go in guns that have lighter firing pin strikes?

I now use Fiocchi primers exclusively and can confirm that they're at least as soft as Winchester primers (if not softer). As an added bonus they seat easily and I haven't had a failure yet.

Edited by 4n2t0

I have recently tried fiocchi primers in 2 of my guns without problems.  Neither of those are primer sensitive anyway.  

But the 150 count packaging... ?

After extensive testing.... Fiocchi SPP are approx 5% harder to ignite than Federals, but heaps easier to load. Winchester are approx 8 to 10% harder to ignite than Federals......I built a test rig to make the measurements. Federals have the lowest lot to lot variation in terms of hardness but suffer from out of round and anvil height issues. ... But they work great in revolvers with light double actions.

For general semi-auto use including striker fired guns the Fiocchi seem just fine.

19 hours ago, Balakay said:

Interesting...Can you share your test methods

My test rig was a frame that guided a weight to fall and ignite a primed case. By increasing the distance the weight fell the energy at the primer was increased.

It was a simple and effective means of determining the relative sensitivity of primers and the force required to get reliable ignition.

May not be the most scientific method but it worked OK for me and my buddies when we were searching for optimum revolver hammer falls on PPC guns.

5 hours ago, Service Desk said:

My test rig was a frame that guided a weight to fall and ignite a primed case. By increasing the distance the weight fell the energy at the primer was increased.

It was a simple and effective means of determining the relative sensitivity of primers and the force required to get reliable ignition.

May not be the most scientific method but it worked OK for me and my buddies when we were searching for optimum revolver hammer falls on PPC guns.

Thank you.  I am surprised that Fiocchi tested  softer than Winchester.  Might have to give them a try

• 2 years later...

They don’t reliably go off in my lightened S&W929 revo, but some do. The 9mm I load for autos that won’t gauge I shoot in my revo.

And the only 2 primers I’ve detonated while loading on my 650 were Fiocchi non-toxic ones.