Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Priming issues d650xl

Priming issues d650xl

I've got a Relatively new press, probably loaded 8000 rounds over the last year or so... I've probably only had 2000 or so rounds without any hiccups. It's mostly priming issues of some kind or another... 

Lately it's been either a misalignment of the primer disk, or a flat out non-rotation. I'm forced to manually adjust the indexing arm constantly. Sometimes the indexing arm's springs get all bent out of wack and I have to replace them. Better still, I've had indexing arms break and/or crack...

I've cleaned the whole system of excess junk, polished the primer disk, flipped it, greased everything I feel that could be... 

I've even experimented with adding spacers to the primer cam to force the primer system to rotate...  (which could be putting excess pressure on the arm)

All in all I've gone though probably 3+ spare parts kits and ordered individual replacement parts as well.

I'm about to call it quits and either order a new priming system.

Or hand prime my cases from now on...

Anyone experience any of this and solved it?

Thanks in advance.

Cut a small cloth patch, about 3/8" x 3/8", wet it with alcohol, and push it through the magazine tube several times using the plastic follower rod. Primers not dropping freely could cause this. Do remove the shims behind the primer cam, these will damage the index arm. Remove the primer seating assembly from the underside of the platform, make sure it is clean, and if there is a small screw in the bottom, be sure it is snug. With the primer seater out of the platform, examine it to be sure the primer seating punch is not protruding above the top of the bushing. Cycle primers through the machine with no cases in the feed tube, 30 or 40 at least. See if any hangups occur.