Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Disappointed in Lee hand primer

Lee is reported (by many folks) to be very good about replacing broken parts if you contact them.  I've never done it though.

My first Lee hand primer lasted almost 20 years.  The second one is still going.  Those are the old round pan models.

I bought one of the new square ones and it's a "jamamatic model".  Constantly flipping primers when feeding them into the ram area and inserting them.  The primer flipper tray part is basically non-working, too, as compared to the older round models.

So then I bought one of the latest versions, with the triangular primer tray.  It's possibly even worse than the square tray model.  Primer flipper nubs don't work for beans.  Primer will turn up almost sideways and get hung up in the tray.  Primers will jam up in the feed chute to the ram.

I need to scour the local gun shows for a bit to see if I can find someone with a couple of the old models for sale and pick those up.

Call Lee and see what they tell you.

Call them and use the replacement warranty.   They have no issues with honoring their warranty.  I have used their warranty on a powder measure and had no issues. 

Keep in mind in an effort to mitigate lawsuits that the hand primers are designed to fail before detonating a primer.

With the number of mil-spec one shot cases being sold to the Reloading community the detonation from a primer being squeezed into a pocket is real.

I did not like the LEE handprimer.   I never found the ergo version on a shelf to try.  I liked the Lyman over the RCBS.   My preference was based on feel in the hand at the store.   

I bought one of the Lee's at Cabela's and tried it out and it didn't work out of the box. Metal wasn't too the proper tolerances so the shell holder didn't fit at all. Returned, bought the RCBS.