Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sig 320 TacOps legality

Lonewolf260

FNG here...head is spinning with all the rules for the different shooting disciplines.  I have an opportunity to trade a Walther PPQ M2 Navy for a Sig TacOps 9mm.  Would this be legal for USPSA Production division?  I did not see anything in the rules that shows specifically whether it's legal or not.  I already have a G35 to cover me for Limited.  How about the TacOps legality for other shooting disciplines such as Steel Challenge, 3-Gun or even IDPA?  If there is a better place to post this question, please let me know...Thanks!

The thing that really sucks is that it's exactly the same gun as a 320 full size.  It just comes with 4 21-rd mags (which probably wouldn't fit in the box).  But because Sig lists every model separately and it's not there, it's not allowed.

You can always go USPSA Limited Division if you find the P320 easier to shoot compared to your glock. There are plenty of products on the market for the P320 for use in limited, check out Springer Precision and Gray Guns to start.  While you will be at a scoring disadvantage shooing 9mm compared to 40 many will tell you that if you are new to the sport there is nothing wrong with shooting 9mm while getting used to everything. I have been shooting my 9mm P320 in USPSA Limited for almost 2 years now and I do not regret it at all. As for 3 Gun it really depends on what organization rules you will fall under but my guess is that there will be no issue. 9mm in 3 gun is a solid caliber to use just read the rules of the organizational authority.

FB_IMG_1488740095002_thumb_jpg_d5ffc4185e167ccf3d98941ad5c35172.jpg.d46191b035b85577d7e06d8fc4eb3c42.jpg

Edited by Sig0431

16 minutes ago, JAFO said:

The thing that really sucks is that it's exactly the same gun as a 320 full size.  It just comes with 4 21-rd mags (which probably wouldn't fit in the box).  But because Sig lists every model separately and it's not there, it's not allowed.

Is there any markings on the gun that say "TacOps"? If he purchased factory 17 round mags wouldn't he be good? I thought that the TacOps still only said P320 on the pistol.

1 hour ago, Sig0431 said:

Is there any markings on the gun that say "TacOps"? If he purchased factory 17 round mags wouldn't he be good? I thought that the TacOps still only said P320 on the pistol.

^-this. Pretty sure the TacopsFull is a normal P320 w/ (4) 21rd mags...  so he'd have to get mags that will fit the box and load them up to 10 for PROD.

P320 TACOPS Full does not come with a threaded barrel.  I had one, it was a box stock P320 Full. Only difference was different sights. Only marked P320 on the gun.... 

Not sure on the Carry model. Most people shooting Production will be using a Full size, or now an X5.

8 minutes ago, sfinney said:

P320 TACOPS Full does not come with a threaded barrel.  I had one, it was a box stock P320 Full. Only difference was different sights. Only marked P320 on the gun.... 

Not sure on the Carry model. Most people shooting Production will be using a Full size, or now an X5.

https://www.sigsauer.com/store/p320-full-tacops.html

Ah. I'll stop pretending I know anything about sigs now. Ha

This is all great information guys...thank you.  The gun I was looking at appears to be a standard full size...no threaded barrel, and was told it came with 2 extended mags.  Sounds like there is no real benefit in obtaining the extended mags at this point, and maybe I should just hold on to the Walther for now and find a good deal on a Full Size 320.  Good to know I could use a TacOps if I wanted to, since the markings are the same.

4 hours ago, Lonewolf260 said:

This is all great information guys...thank you.  The gun I was looking at appears to be a standard full size...no threaded barrel, and was told it came with 2 extended mags.  Sounds like there is no real benefit in obtaining the extended mags at this point, and maybe I should just hold on to the Walther for now and find a good deal on a Full Size 320.  Good to know I could use a TacOps if I wanted to, since the markings are the same.

I would say if you are happy with the G35 for limited then look to pick up a P320 X5 for use in 3 gun. Once the X5 comes out in 40 that will become my new limited gun and my current P320 in 9mm will be used for 3 gun.

The X5 looks to be a very nice gun for the money.  I will have to keep an eye out for one.  As far as being comfortable with the G35 for Limited, I ended up trading into one fully setup for USPSA.  I'm actually a Sig guy at heart, and will eventually pickup a 320.  The TacOps deal ended up not being a very good deal, coming with only 2 mags.