Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Springfeild EMP 9mm Lightweight Champion

Dutchman195

Just a heads up for anyone out there that is looking at this particular model of gun. 

Tripp/Wilson mags do not fit this gun. They use proprietary mags manufactured by Mec-Gar.

Pretty disappointing that I didn't know at the time of purchase (buyer be ware). Also if you purchase the gun under the current rebate program, they only ship you 9 round mags instead of the regular 10rnd that come with the gun. 

Also, Techwell grips and Magwells do in fact fit the gun, but the grips are a little to big Width wise so they hang over the front strap. not enough to cause a functional propblem. but it does feel slightly weird. I have pictures and measurement specs if anyone is curious. 

On 7/24/2017 at 1:04 PM, Dutchman195 said:

Just a heads up for anyone out there that is looking at this particular model of gun. 

Tripp/Wilson mags do not fit this gun. They use proprietary mags manufactured by Mec-Gar.

Pretty disappointing that I didn't know at the time of purchase (buyer be ware). Also if you purchase the gun under the current rebate program, they only ship you 9 round mags instead of the regular 10rnd that come with the gun. 

Also, Techwell grips and Magwells do in fact fit the gun, but the grips are a little to big Width wise so they hang over the front strap. not enough to cause a functional propblem. but it does feel slightly weird. I have pictures and measurement specs if anyone is curious. 

That is the entire purpose of the EMP. Sorry you didn't realize that before you spent the money, but the express purpose of that line of guns is to be a 1911 built around the dimensions of a 9mm/40 rather than the longer and fatter 45. 

Just my thought that normal Tripp 9mm mags would fit the gun. I guess I really dont see a purpose of making stuff like that when the difference it so marginal that carrying it would make no difference. I mean, other than now forcing the consumer base to buy your special mags. 

They are not forcing the consumer base to buy special mags. No offense intended, but it seems you didn't do your due diligence before purchasing this gun.

Not sure why they are saying you can only purchase 9 round mags on the promotion, as they are the same price as the 10 rounds mags. Might be worth a call to Springfield to see about ordering the 10 rounders. 

"The action of the EMP[emoji768] is 1/8 inch shorter than that of the original 1911.... The shorter dimensions also work to increase reliability"

Pulled directly from the Springfield website. It is for reliability. Not for ease of carry.

I would call Springfield about the rebate mags though, I an guessing they would give you 10 rounders if you pestered them. Do you like the gun otherwise? I've always been interested in getting one.

I did my research and I'm very pleased with mine. Have had it for about 6 months. When I did the "Get Loaded" deal, I got the additional 4 10rd mags. Was able to get hits on 10" steel at 100yds with my reloads. Gun has run great with factory ammo. My reloads are touch light for the stock recoil spring. Trigger can be cleaned up pretty easily. Sights are quite seviceable, but the factory piece of fiber rod is kinda lame and not really red at all.

I thinks it's a win.

Hate that the OP didn't catch that the gun is NOT a "1911" and the entire point of the EMP is to be 1911-like and scaled to 9mm cartridge length and slightly more compact than a "real" 1911.

Very well executed for the price point in my mind.