Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Compensator effective?

TANFARM

Help with open guns...9 mm ??......conversation at a match yesterday and was mentioned that compensators were not effective runnng 9 mm Minor.

Not enough gas pressure to utilize function.......any experiences.

In my old age am considering the switch from Limited Minor to Limited Open?.....any experiences or council greatly appreciated. Been considering an Atlas Chaos in 9 mm.......I'm throughly satisfied with my Titan.

Any thoughts appreciated.........

9 minor dicussion is mute though for open

for uspsa and ipsc you shoot major in open and limited/standar, there is no running minor unless your petty much close to god level with the alfas. 

steel challenge you shoot minor, same slow powder as major load, just less. if it stops to cycle, add moar powder. 

Uh, that's a Shooting Times article comparing apples.to oranges in a Glock 19C.  For USPSA Open division guns we need something more authoritative for us, like any research or experiences from those who shoot Open minor, for instance Steel Challenge or Pro-Am.  Folks?

When I shoot factory loads thru my TruBor 9mm, it has MUCH

less recoil/muzzle flip than my BHP with the same ammo.

Actually, almost as little muzzle rise as the 173 PF ammo I have

for the same gun.

The comp is definitely working with factory ammo in my gun   :) 

I shoot Open major for USPSA.  For Steel Challenge I shoot both Open major and minor.  If the SC match is on a Sat followed by a USPSA match the next day, I'll shoot my Open major gun for both matches.  Otherwise, l shoot Open minor for SC.  I really don't see any difference between the two, except for noise level.  If I didn't already have a purpose built Open minor gun for SC, I'd just use the major gun for everything.

16 minutes ago, teros135 said:

Uh, that's a Shooting Times article comparing apples.to oranges in a Glock 19C.  For USPSA Open division guns we need something more authoritative for us, like any research or experiences from those who shoot Open minor, for instance Steel Challenge or Pro-Am.  Folks?

It demonstrates that a minor load in a gun with a single port compensator reduced muzzle rise by ~36%.

One of the old school tests on comp effectiveness was to use masking tape and tape over the ports

to do it, start with a unloaded gun, you run a strip of making tape around the circumference of the comp and fire a shot, did the blast blow the tape apart?

if yes then repeat with 2 layers, then 3 and continue until the tape holds

totally unscientific, but you'll know if the comp is working 

1 hour ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

When I shoot factory loads thru my TruBor 9mm, it has MUCH

less recoil/muzzle flip than my BHP with the same ammo.

Actually, almost as little muzzle rise as the 173 PF ammo I have

for the same gun.

The comp is definitely working with factory ammo in my gun   :) 

Couldn't that be the result of a 40 something point reduction in power factor and not the comp working the gas.  My understanding was that minor guns required a smaller compensator to effectively use the available gas.  What I'm getting at is if you fitted a different comp, one more geared towards minor loads on that gun with factory minor ammo you would be significantly flatter than your major loads.  Not just about the same.

Edge, the reason for a smaller comp on a minor gun is weight on the end of the barrel.  If you don't mind the extra weight, a 3 or 4 port comp will be more effective than a 2-port comp of the same design for no other reason than the extra weight reduces muzzle rise.

There is no rule that says you have to have enough gas to work every port in a comp.  Here is an example using my CZ open gun.  It ran a custom 3-chamber, 7-port comp.  With 188PF loads it shot dead flat, but it was violent.  At 172PF the muzzle rose a little, but the dot never left the glass.  At 109PF, yes I meant to write 109PF, the gun didn't move when fired.  I had to check to see if it went off.  The brass barely dribbled out.  That was an experiment to see how low I could go.  I shot 131PF for minor competitions.

7 hours ago, Edge40 said:

1.  Couldn't that be the result of a 40 something point reduction in power factor and not the comp working the gas? 

2.  if you fitted a different comp,  geared towards minor loads on that gun with factory minor ammo you would be significantly flatter than your major loads.  Not just about the same.

1.  No, I'm comparing the same minor ammo in a comped and non-comped gun.  The TruBor is a half pound or so heavier than the BHP, so that certainly contributes..

But, factory ammo in my TruBor feels like a .22 compared to factory ammo in my BHP.

2.  Possible - I have never tried a comp designed for minor loads   :) 

1 hour ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

1.  No, I'm comparing the same minor ammo in a comped and non-comped gun.  The TruBor is a half pound or so heavier than the BHP, so that certainly contributes..

But, factory ammo in my TruBor feels like a .22 compared to factory ammo in my BHP.

2.  Possible - I have never tried a comp designed for minor loads   :) 

My fault read that too fast and misunderstood. Gotcha now.

20 hours ago, ano said:

9 minor dicussion is mute though for open

for uspsa and ipsc you shoot major in open and limited/standar, there is no running minor unless your petty much close to god level with the alfas. 

steel challenge you shoot minor, same slow powder as major load, just less. if it stops to cycle, add moar powder. 

So the bottom line here is I need to be shooting major power factor!!!.....I'm so heavily into 9 mm should I go 9 mm major or,switch to 40 cal.??.....thoughts???

Hello: You don't have to shoot major unless you want to. I know lots of guys who shoot Limited minor for one reason or another. The same would apply for open minor. If you want to shoot minor just pick an open pistol you like and shoot minor. No big deal. I would also try shooting major threw it as well since an open pistol shoots softer than you would think it should. Yes a comp will work shooting minor but some are better than others, just like major loads and a comp. Thanks, Eric

• 2 weeks later...

If you want to shoot minor out of it then shoot light bullets, like 95 or 100 grain with 8 or more grains of HS6. It will shoot really soft and the gas will make the gun super flat.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk