Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shot a indoor match...got to use my laser!

So my friend and I made a 5+ hour round trip to go shoot an indoor USPSA match. First time I ever shot a indoor match. Was different for sure, but fun.

Got to use my new laser. Not sure about it or if I was faster with it. It was pretty distracting. 

We also shot a low light stage....that was fun. Shot all A's.

Here is a video of some of the match.

Fun stuff.  I'm sure you were just messing around, but the laser really only has one function, and that's when put in a position it's hard or impossible to get a look at the dot such as around an offhand corner or something.  The laser hip fire start was.....interesting.  Prob not for me, but fun watching YOU do it.  Lol.

1 hour ago, Hammer002 said:

That's good to know.  Have considered trying one but price has kept it behind other priorities.

Yeah...I would not say the laser is a big priority for this game. But then again, I am just a average shooter and my high speed, low drag days are behind me.

I actually used my green laser on a couple of stages shooting at Sacramento Valley NCPS USPSA club yesterday. Very sunny yesterday!

I was able to see it at close range 10-15 feet. Had a couple of targets that I would of  had to shoot week shoulder, take time to transition, but just pointed the gun off my strong shoulder,  saw the laser on target and pulled the trigger. Worked great. Got the Crimson Trace on sale for $105. I am running a Burris Fast Fire and mounts on the upper rail in front of the Burris.

Does not block the red dot view.  Some night matches coming up at Richmond, will be using it there also.

Edited by Trail3
5 hours ago, Trail3 said:

I actually used my green laser on a couple of stages shooting at Sacramento Valley NCPS USPSA club yesterday. Very sunny yesterday!

I was able to see it at close range 10-15 feet. Had a couple of targets that I would of  had to shoot week shoulder, take time to transition, but just pointed the gun off my strong shoulder,  saw the laser on target and pulled the trigger. Worked great. Got the Crimson Trace on sale for $105. I am running a Burris Fast Fire and mounts on the upper rail in front of the Burris.

Does not block the red dot view.  Some night matches coming up at Richmond, will be using it there also.

Where did you find the crimson for $105 ?

Here is something to consider.  Chances are you are running an optic that is rather high over the bore, depending on your zero distance, gives you a significant hold over at close targets.  If you have a Lazer mounted at bore height, or very close to it, you can take a sight picture during make ready and check hold over on something like a 5 yard head shot. 

Mine is the CT 206 and is daylight visible at 25.  Now if you are thinking that you will see a beam from your sight all the way to the target, that won't happen, but I can see my laser dot on the target at 25 with ease in the bright daylight.  It makes it fun, but it is odd to see a green dot and a red dot when looking through my optics aiming.

30 minutes ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

From what I've heard about your restrictive gun laws, I'd hardly say you are "Spoiled"    :( 

This right here.^^^

Being in CA flat sucks! Outside of the outrages gun laws, I am self employed and am being taxed out of business. I have elderly folks so I am kinda stuck here until that plays out. Then....I am gone!

Although being up here in Redding, we have a very pro-gun sheriff and folks are pretty conservative. I rarely go south of Chico and refuse to go to So. Calif.

As for driving 5 hours for a match sucking...well...I have a really fast and fun car that I use for twisty roads and actually enjoy the trip to where this match was held (Eureka, CA) so it did not suck at all. I got to enjoy the thrill of close to 500HP on tap and then some fun shooting. Guess it boils down to ones perspective.

We hold a USPSA, and steel challenge match at our local club every month as well as Tuesday Evening Steel every Tuesday. And there is lots of other ranges within easy driving so that I can shoot every weekend if I had the time.

Yes, the Ca gun laws really suck! But getting to shoot year round is a plus. Have shot the Thanksgiving weekend 3 gun match at Sacramento in a long sleeve t-shirt on

more that one occasion! Never had to worry about lost brass in the snow, or slipping on a icy course of fire! Lost brass in mud puddles, yes.

BigBamBoo, I heard that Shasta Shooters were doing the Golden Bullet. True rumor?  If so, have you picked a date?

Edited by Trail3
5 hours ago, Trail3 said:

Yes, the Ca gun laws really suck! But getting to shoot year round is a plus. Have shot the Thanksgiving weekend 3 gun match at Sacramento in a long sleeve t-shirt on

more that one occasion! Never had to worry about lost brass in the snow, or slipping on a icy course of fire! Lost brass in mud puddles, yes.

BigBamBoo, I heard that Shasta Shooters were doing the Golden Bullet. True rumor?  If so, have you picked a date?

Yes, that is the rumor. I don't think we have a date yet. I missed the last one we hosted....got hit by a drunk drive a week before the match. Had a slipped disk in my lower back, etc. 

So hopefully I will be able to shot this one.

I will ask next week at Tuesday Steel and get back to you. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/25/2017 at 3:05 PM, Trail3 said:

Here is what the results of the Shasta Shooters board meeting:

Hello Everyone,

At last night's Board Meeting the  Board approved our dates for the 2018 Golden Bullet Championship.  The Match will be held on the first weekend in June. June 1, 2, 3.  Set up will be on Wednesday and Thursday, May 30th, and 31st, with the Staff shooting on Friday the 1st. and Competitors on the 2nd., and 3rd.