Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

GoPro Hero5 Session and shooting

I just picked up a Hero5 session last week and got to take it out to a match.  The picture looks great, but every time I fire a shot the audio clips horribly.  It almost sounds like a musical note when the gun goes off.  I have heard that the hero4 session doesn't have this problem, but I like the higher resolution and stabilization of the hero5.  Has anybody found a workaround to fix this issue on the 5?

• 3 months later...
On 7/23/2017 at 2:20 PM, mwenger said:

I just picked up a Hero5 session last week and got to take it out to a match.  The picture looks great, but every time I fire a shot the audio clips horribly.  It almost sounds like a musical note when the gun goes off.  I have heard that the hero4 session doesn't have this problem, but I like the higher resolution and stabilization of the hero5.  Has anybody found a workaround to fix this issue on the 5?

I'd like to know as well. Reviewing my footage from Blue Ridge and I have the same audio issue. Strangely enough, it didn't do it when shooting inside the "Bathhouse" where you would expect the mic to be overpowered.

• 4 weeks later...

Are you using any cases for the GoPro? I've noticed audio gets much worse with an airtight case (waterproof) than I did with an open case that was meant to be used for live music. 

Generally, the weird audio issues occur because the GoPro doesn't know how/where to limit the dB intake so I'm wondering if there's any advanced settings for audio where you can set this. 

• 4 months later...

I have the hero 5 with the same issue. I did a little research and some people say it is the mount/holder it sits in. Supposedly it covers part of the microphone. When it warms up outside I want to record some shots with no case attached. If that fixes the problem I'm going to drill the hole bigger around the microphone. It sounds normal shooting indoor matches so i have a feeling it has something to do with the wind reduction feature.