Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sp01 easy/first mods

DementedAntics

Which spring mods are an easy thing to do for a beginner to clean up the sa/da pull? What mods are the best bang for the buck before diving in for full production legal kits? I'd like to slowly buy parts overtime to build a production legal Sp01. 

Edited by DementedAntics
Clarity

2 minutes ago, Ken6PPC said:

I'd say an extended firing pin with reduced power FP spring and main (hammer) spring.  

https://cajungunworks.com/product/54420-ultra-lite/  

Have you used these? If so thoughts? I see that it says 50% reduction in DA any change in he SA pull? would you recommend an 11# recoil spring also? Is it known what those main spring weights are for black and blue? Thanks for your help. 

Yes, I put a similar set (#54440) in a CZ 75 Pre-B.  I was amazed how much it helped.  Won't help with slack take up, or improve the reset, but the springs made a dramatic difference from the stock springs.  Note that they do not recommend this for concealed carry!  

I used the lightest hammer spring (8.5#), and was expecting some misfires because I was using CCI primers.  I had no problems at all!  Even the 11.5# made a huge difference.  

Oh, I forgot...  The "best" recoil spring depends upon your load, and personal preference.  I use either 10 or 11 pound springs, but I am shooting a light 147 gr. reload.  This will help you determine what is best for you:  https://cajungunworks.com/product/tuners-pac-music-wire-recoil-springs/

Edited by Ken6PPC

Change your main spring to a 13# or 11.5#. Change your recoil spring to 11# if shooting 147gr bullets. You can get buy with the standard firing pin for a while, but a reduced power one here is nice too. Either source these from CZC or CGW.

Recoil spring involves a basic field strip.

Firing pin spring involves removing the plate.

Main spring involves removing the grips, two pins and the mag brake.

Even if you are completely mechanically disinclined you can still eventually muddle through these three things, especially watching a video of it.

3 minutes ago, rowdyb said:

Change your main spring to a 13# or 11.5#. Change your recoil spring to 11# if shooting 147gr bullets. You can get buy with the standard firing pin for a while, but a reduced power one here is nice too. Either source these from CZC or CGW.

Even if you are completely mechanically disinclined you can still eventually muddle through these three things, especially watching a video of it.

DementedAntics has a regular SP-01, not a Shadow.  So, his pistol doesn't have a FP plate.  It will have a firing pin retaining pin, and a firing pin block.  Just don't want to confuse him.   

Of course, it is still pretty simple to pull the FP and swap it out...  

30 minutes ago, rowdyb said:

Thanks I will get these parts ordered. 

28 minutes ago, rowdyb said:

Truly the best bang for buck is a very well done polish job of all the appropriate parts.

Which parts do you recommend? Is there a good guide or how to I can reference?

4 minutes ago, Ken6PPC said:

DementedAntics has a regular SP-01, not a Shadow.  So, his pistol doesn't have a FP plate.  It will have a firing pin retaining pin, and a firing pin block.  Just don't want to confuse him.   

Of course, it is still pretty simple to pull the FP and swap it out...  

Yes I have a regular sp01 non shadow. 

Kneeling Atlas' tuning guide here in the CZ section is the definitive source. Follow it to the T and you'll be happy and much more knowledgeable and comfortable about your gun.

12 hours ago, rowdyb said:

Kneeling Atlas' tuning guide here in the CZ section is the definitive source. Follow it to the T and you'll be happy and much more knowledgeable and comfortable about your gun.

Thta at is an awesome resource. Thank you. 

5 hours ago, muncie21 said:

Once you finish with the springs and firing pin stuff, I'd suggest putting in the Cajun 10x bushing.  It really improves barrel fit in the slide, resulting in better accuracy (provided you do your part)

Is that production legal? 

So here is what I have in my cart. Looks like I have all that I need? I was looking at your build thread @rowdyb and matched the parts you have and advised.  My next question is, can I basically build the competition package from CGW overtime if I wanted or will I have to toss these parts and just buy the bundle they have. I think all I'd have left would be a hammer and trigger correct?

IMG_0174.PNG

IMG_0175.PNG

For stuff that's plug and play that's a great shopping list. The trigger return spring can be a challenge unless you are comfortable doing a detail strip of the gun. But if you're bascially mechanically inclined you'll be able to get it with only mild cursing. And it does help reduce the DA trigger pull.

I'm not super familiar with all of CGW offerings, so not sure how to advise you there. But yeah, eventually a hammer will be nice. For me, the trigger is all about your reach and the feel of the shoe on your finger.

Edited by rowdyb

I'd say you have done well in choosing your parts. Get ready though, when the bug bites it digs in hard. Cajun Gun Works has the bug. I know you will enjoy it and also the 5 to 7 more you will buy right after it. 

Those parts will help your SP-01 a lot, but be careful.  It is a "slippery slope" to where you have put more money into your pistol than you intended!    

At some point, it may be better to buy what you wanted to start with.  

1 hour ago, rowdyb said:

For stuff that's plug and play that's a great shopping list. The trigger return spring can be a challenge unless you are comfortable doing a detail strip of the gun. But if you're bascially mechanically inclined you'll be able to get it with only mild cursing. And it does help reduce the DA trigger pull.

I'm not super familiar with all of CGW offerings, so not sure how to advise you there. But yeah, eventually a hammer will be nice. For me, the trigger is all about your reach and the feel of the shoe on your finger.

Ok great, since your not super familiar with CGW, do you prefer CZ custom shop? I don't know which is better or what to go with. 

1 hour ago, bowenbuilt said:

I'd say you have done well in choosing your parts. Get ready though, when the bug bites it digs in hard. Cajun Gun Works has the bug. I know you will enjoy it and also the 5 to 7 more you will buy right after it. 

Thanks for for the input, I'm just trying to do it right the first time. So any help I can get from you seasoned CZ guys is great! 

42 minutes ago, Ken6PPC said:

Those parts will help your SP-01 a lot, but be careful.  It is a "slippery slope" to where you have put more money into your pistol than you intended!    

At some point, it may be better to buy what you wanted to start with.  

Yea your right about that, my M&p9 was my production gun I planned to shoot forever and get better with. Next thing I knew I got a great deal on a Trijicon Rm06, magwell, and full apex trigger and it's basically a carry optics or open gun Hahah. In truth when I'm done could I have bought a shadow2 or a tangfo stock2 like I wanted? Yea. But I do love tinkering with guns and I do love buying more. All the reading I've seen says you can get about 90-95% of a shadow with a modded Sp01 (I know it will never be as good as a non-fpb CZ) how true it is idk.  Y goal is to get my gun shooting as best I can for a good deal. So if in theory and reality I spend $1100 total on an Sp01 and mods and could have gotten a shadow for 900-1k, oh well, I spent $1-200 more but at least I will have learned a lot and I will still have a sweet shooter from what I've seen/read (fingers crossed hahah). 

While you're on the CGW site, you could also get a comp hammer, an adjustable sear, a short reset disconnector, some new sights.  Might as well go all the way.  My tuned sp 01 is pretty darn close to my tuned shadows.  It's only money and time.  Tuning CZs is a great was to spend some time tinkering and what comes out the far end is a joy to shoot.

1 minute ago, twowheels said:

While you're on the CGW site, you could also get a comp hammer, an adjustable sear, a short reset disconnector, some new sights.  Might as well go all the way.  My tuned sp 01 is pretty darn close to my tuned shadows.  It's only money and time.  Tuning CZs is a great was to spend some time tinkering and what comes out the far end is a joy to shoot.

What did you do about the fpb on your SP-01? 

If you disabled it, your pistol is illegal for most competition.  

Hi OP, if you're going to replace the trigger return spring, you should consider getting the CGW floating trigger pin.  Not trying to send you down a slippery slope, but there's a chance you could damage the original pin (I believe it's hollow) during removal.

21 hours ago, Ken6PPC said:

What did you do about the fpb on your SP-01? 

If you disabled it, your pistol is illegal for most competition.  

I left it in.  I polished it and put in the cgw reduced power spring.  It has a slightly longer reset than the shadows but its a pretty slight difference.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/22/2017 at 8:40 PM, Ken6PPC said:

I'd say an extended firing pin with reduced power FP spring and main (hammer) spring.  

https://cajungunworks.com/product/54420-ultra-lite/  

Agree:  I have purchased various parts and am working on my CZ85C in stepwise fashion.  Just finished putting in extended firing pin,  reduced power FP spring, and 13# main hammer spring along with some polishing of firing pin channel and mainspring strut during the process.     Just these extremely simple steps reduced my SA trigger pull from 5 1/2 pounds to 4 1/2 pounds. and definitely feels better.  

Eric