Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI 2011 Magazine Selection

Mikecatt13

Just purchased a STI DVC 3 gun for...3 gun lol. It's my first 2011 platform so I'm looking for assistance in selecting competition magazines as I'll need a few more. Is it best to get complete, tuned mags from places like Dawson or Taran Tactical or just buy STI mags and switch out followers and base pads? Is there a go to company between Dawson, TTI or others that have the best running mags?

Any and all help is greatly appreciated!

For completed mags I used MBX with my DVC 3gun.  Never had any malfunctions with them, always ran reliably.  However, website states they hold 23-24 rounds for 9mm 140s.  I could never get that 24th round in and they were not reloadable at 23.  So it was 22-23 rounds for me in those. I emailed and he offered to tune them for me if I sent them in, but I never got around to it before I sold the DVC.

Also, MBX 9mm mags do not require a spacer, the older STI mags do.  STI recently released a newer version of their mags that do not require a spacer for 9mm. 

My MBX 140s in 40sw do hold 20-21 as the website states and also run great.  I put grams springs and followers in them as well when my mag springs were getting weak.

While MBX is not the ultimate magazine, they have worked for me and were a decent price.  I would try and find a deal on complete magazines on here and outfit your current mags with grams spring and follower with your choice of basepad, Taran or Dawson.  Maybe eventually get a Dawson Mag Tuning Kit or borrow one.

1 hour ago, Mikecatt13 said:

I this is probably a dumb newbie question but what exactly is tuning a magazine? Just the process of perfecting a mag for the purpose of reliable feeding?

Basically, yes. I use MBX mags exclusively, sold all my STI ones because I was "fiddling" with them too much. They may seem like expensive mags, but when considering the grand scheme of the cost of shooting, they're a small percentage of the total. (BTW, I get 23 reloadable from the 9mm, 140mm mag)

I use MBX mags for all my match and I have 4 old style STI mags that are practice only. That bring said I have 10 MBX mags, my 9mm one have never cause me issues. 3 of the 126s for IDPA run perfect. 2 140s in 9mm, only issue I've had was followers turning sometimes something you have to watch for. And then I recently got 3 140s for 40 s&w, all of which needed a good amount of tuning to work. They all came and wouldn't fit in the grip, the feed lips were way off and they didn't sit right on the magazine release so the had to be tuned there to. MBXs are expensive but by the time you buy every other part separately it will probably be over the cost of them anyways

There are guys that have made good livings tuning STI/SV mags for max capacity and reliability.  MBX exists due to that.... the trick (and the expensive part) is paying for mags that are both. Most of my stock STI mags (once I have verified feed lip dimensions are in spec) have run 100%. Once I start throwing in different base pads, followers and springs, trying to get max capacity, to make them reliable "tuning" is usually required.

1 hour ago, MatchShooterSupply said:

I can not get MBX to run in my DVC limited but stock STI mags run 100% personally I would stick with factory these guns were meant to run right out of the box and from what I see the are great until people start screwing with them 

Too late lol. Had 4 MBXs show up today. Will see how they run I guess. It can be a pretty big advantage to have 23 or 24 rounds vs 20 so i am gonna try them especially since I already bought em. Appreciate the input though hope you get yours workin for you!

15 hours ago, Mikecatt13 said:

Too late lol. Had 4 MBXs show up today. Will see how they run I guess. It can be a pretty big advantage to have 23 or 24 rounds vs 20 so i am gonna try them especially since I already bought em. Appreciate the input though hope you get yours workin for you!

Make sure you look at the videos on the MBX site (if you haven't already ;)) especially the one about loading the magazine. Makes a big difference

11 hours ago, 2alphas said:

My experience with 8 of the new generation STI 9mm mags has been 100% reliability (feeding, locking back & dropping free) in DVC 3Gun platform. ~6K rounds so far.

I think they look interesting, too bad they came out after I gave up on the old STI mags and spent the money on MBX's (which have worked perfectly for the past year), no reason that I can see to try them out. (unless all my present mags start having problems :unsure:)

• 3 weeks later...

I have 3 old style 140 tubes with Taran followers(slightly modded to lock open on empty) Taran springs and Taran 4gs base pads Taran spacers, all hold 23 rounds and have been 100%, I bought a 170 new style tube and added Taran guts and a 7gs base pad, no spacer, holds 30 rounds and so far has been 100%.  Other than slightly notching the followers I have done other tuning. 

Another vote for MBX. I actually use an STI Eagle 2011 in .45 for Limited 10, and was told many times a .45 will never run reliably in the double stack configuration. My MBX 140MM mags will hold 18 for the starter mag (18+1), but I do go to 17 for follow up mags if I get crazy and shoot Limited.

I have never had a single failure to feed, the only issues I have had is when I failed to get the mag in fully and my first shot is rewarded by a mag on the ground. These are really great mags and have worked flawlessly for me.

2 votes for MBX from me and my dead uncle. I have 4 140's & 2 170's. After a little break in they have run 100% out of the box. The 170's will load full with 29 and seat with a Barney with no problems. The 140's can get finicky trying to seat full so I only load 23 in them which isn't a problem. 

Some guys swear by MBX and some like STI's. I think it's a crapshoot and depends on what your gun likes. 

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't bought tuned mags.  I bought 3 Sti new gen mags and they have run flawlessly so far.   Bought everything to swap out springs and followers but haven't needed to yet.   I don't know if I lucky but didn't want to mess with what was working.