Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Got my new 650 put together, need a little help, though

I just put together my 650 today. Before I turned on the case feeder, I wanted to feed some cases manually by dropping them down the funnel just to make sure everything else is working OK. For some reason a lot of the cases are not getting pushed all the way into position in the casefeed arm of the casefeed body assembly

20170722_182927.jpg.99196d7a5907b89b38a6d4665c04567b.jpg

Any ideas what causes this or how to fix it

Don't feel bad when I got my 650 home I had trouble with the arm rubbing on the used primer container.  I had everything else right and was just about to make my first ammo, but this rubbing kept getting in the way.  After stooping a few guys at Dillon one finally told me to send a short video.  In 5 minutes the phone rang with a Dillon rep.  I had put the little blue box in backwards.  Took most of the day to figure it out, even stumped the Dillon reps but they were all nice.  Been makin bullets since.

12 hours ago, Mikelindsey said:

Don't feel bad when I got my 650 home I had trouble with the arm rubbing on the used primer container

I had this problem too. I finally figured it out on my own. I had trouble figuring out how to hang the loaded cartridge bracket and bin and had to call Dillon. Some things aren't covered in the instructions (like the question in my original post in this thread), you just have to look at the pictures. I also had a problem with the primer wheel not indexing. Turns out, I had a primer lodged sideways in one of the holes in the wheel. I called Dillon and talked to a technical support person named Kat who was awesome and walked me through how to take the primer feed assembly apart and put it back together. She was very patient and must have spent 15 minutes on the phone with me. She even waited while I looked for a spring I dropped on the floor. She also told me that if I still had problems after I got off the phone, I could call back (they were closing in 5 minutes) the next day and ask for her personally. 

Awesome customer service experience by Dillon.

I noticed that when I drop some primers into the primer magazine and have some cases in the case feed tube, that when I start operating the press, the first 3 or 4 cases don't get any primers and then after that the cases start being primed consistently. If I manually index the wheel 3 or 4 times after putting some new primers in the magazine, then I don't have this problem. So, my question is: "is it normal to have to index the primer wheel 3 or 4 times after filling the magazine or am I doing something wrong".

I didn't see this addressed in the instruction manual, but I could have missed it.

Normal ... 

Did not think I would need the DVD, broke down one day and bought it. 

There are a a lot of subtle adjustments shown that makes the press easier to understand.  

Your question is one of the topics mentioned.   

I really wish wish this DVD would be posted on YouTube, I understand why they sell it.  

Edited by Currently

2 hours ago, GregInAtl said:

So, my question is: "is it normal to have to index the primer wheel 3 or 4 times after filling the magazine or am I doing something wrong".

I didn't see this addressed in the instruction manual, but I could have missed it.

I drop the primers into the magazine tube, then cycle the press six times, then switch on the case feeder.

Once it starts dropping cases, start loading and the first case will be primed.

I usually take advantage of those six cycles to drop powder into a case and double check the charge weight, and  to get the powder settled in the hopper for consistent throws.

Edited by TDA

3 minutes ago, TDA said:

then cycle the press six times, then switch on the case feeder.

Or, if you had cases already in the case feed tube, you could cycle the primer wheel manually 5 or 6 times

y4mHeKLYfnqghNLm5apRrXMzcCZgL7IZT7N8drFU

At any rate, I guess you have to get the primer wheel to advance somehow before loading starts

Yes

I didn't mention that I don't leave my press with cases, primers, or powder in it.

Everything is empty when I finish loading, so everything gets charged back up when I need to load again.

11 hours ago, TDA said:

Yes

I didn't mention that I don't leave my press with cases, primers, or powder in it.

Everything is empty when I finish loading, so everything gets charged back up when I need to load again.

Probably a good practice, Dillon even mentioned that when I talked to them about this topic (advancing the printer wheel)

30 minutes ago, EEH said:

The primer wheel must be advanced 8 times to put primers under the first shell casing if everything is empty !

Thanks, I thought I was doing something wrong there for a minute.