Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CZ Tactical Sport slide cracked

ohsevenflhx

7 hours ago, himurax13 said:

Is welding the slide not an option?

I wouldn't ever trust it. I believe it is cast & cast doesn't ever seem to take a weld well. Then it would have to be machined where it is welded. I would probably have as much money in it as buying a new slide. I feel like the lightening slots in the slide is what caused the weak area, which caused the slide to crack. 

P. S. The rough edges on the slide cuts could introduce stress points and allowed the cracking. Those cuts should be smooth with well defined edges. Not rough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by GeneBray

I was shooting 40S&W major.180gr bullet, 940fps, 169 pf. ,13lb recoil spring. I have been shooting at least 8k rounds through it a year for a couple years, and I bought it used, so it hasn't been baby'd. 

16k rnds plus what a previous shooter ran through it doesn't sound excessive.  The loads are typical USPSA/IPSC .40 S&W major loads so definitely not on the hot side. 

Given that, I am back to rough edges on side cuts may have introduced stress points and allowed the crack to start.  Once started it will propagate along the weakest path through the metal.

Don't know if the slide is cast or milled from billet.  CZ, CZ Custom, or CGW should be able to give you the right answer.  Nor can I say that welding cast is a bad idea.  I just don't know.  

Good luck on finding an slide.  It may be hard.  Consider shopping the online reseller like Gun Broker.  You may find a deal on a complete replacement.  And then use one of the pistols as spares/partial replacement encase of another failure like the receiver.

Doubt if this is helpful, but maybe a little informative.

Best of luck on the repair/replacement.

Edited by GeneBray

99% sure that crack originated from the custom cuts.....   lots of people doing them, not many doing it right. Pretty common on cut or tri-topped slides unfortunately. Might need to find a complete top end.  

6 minutes ago, sfinney said:

99% sure that crack originated from the custom cuts.....   lots of people doing them, not many doing it right. Pretty common on cut or tri-topped slides unfortunately. Might need to find a complete top end.  

I agree. When and if I am able to get a new slide, I will not have cuts put in it.

4 minutes ago, ohsevenflhx said:

I agree. When and if I am able to get a new slide, I will not have cuts put in it.

I'm considering cutting my slide but would do the cuts so they run inline with the slide.  The cuts that you have run cross grain and whoever did them didn't use a good carbide endmill or didn't flood the cutter to reduce chatter and buildup.

14 minutes ago, aandabooks said:

I'm considering cutting my slide but would do the cuts so they run inline with the slide.  The cuts that you have run cross grain and whoever did them didn't use a good carbide endmill or didn't flood the cutter to reduce chatter and buildup.

_20170730_222815.JPG

Edited by ohsevenflhx