Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Whose CZ open gun?

Apolo

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, kneelingatlas said:

I don't know who built it, but I'll bet I can answer your questions.

I'm really happy you chimed in. I was actually going to message you before I made this post. What barrel and comp is used? 

1 hour ago, Apolo said:

I'm really happy you chimed in. I was actually going to message you before I made this post. What barrel and comp is used? 

The comp is similar to the Czechmate comp, but slightly different, so I suspect it's custom; the barrel looks like it comes from a Tactical Sport.  The racker looks like the one from a Czechmate, but the dovetail on the Shadow is larger than the one on the Czechmate, so I'd bet it's custom too.

Edited by kneelingatlas

I'd like to see some pictures or examples of other builds as well. I'd like any info I can get. I did dig into the open CZ thread here on enos, but most of the pictures are no longer available.

4 minutes ago, ohsevenflhx said:

The bottom of the frame by the muzzle has a picatinny rail. It's not on a TS or CM frame.

It's not. It's built from a SP01 shadow. 

On 7/22/2017 at 9:44 PM, eerw said:

Yes he can

Yup. Messaging. Still trying to figure out comp route. I'm thinking it needs to be clocked and held with extended guide rod and not thread locker as the CZ barrel cannot come out the front like a 2011. This limits options. 

On 7/22/2017 at 3:27 PM, kneelingatlas said:

The comp is similar to the Czechmate comp, but slightly different, so I suspect it's custom; the barrel looks like it comes from a Tactical Sport.  The racker looks like the one from a Czechmate, but the dovetail on the Shadow is larger than the one on the Czechmate, so I'd bet it's custom too.

I used a Czechmate racker on my sp-01 shadow open build. By using a longer set screw you can push the racker up into the dovetail making it tight but would probably be best to add some material to the bottom, tho mine is just held in with some loctite on the longer set screw and hasn't moved yet.

I have some experience with open uppers for CZs.  IMO, it is a mistake to rely on the threads and an extended guide rod to keep the comp clocked.  That is exactly how I first did it, and the results were horrible.  Your only chance for good results using that approach is to may almost 100% engagement in the threads.

I had new threads cut on the barrel and had threaded tool steel bushings made for the comps.  That tightened things up a lot, but not enough for me.  I used Blue Loctite on the comp and accuracy improved to same hole groups at 15 yards.  BTW, I also had a tool steel bushing made for the barrel while I was at it.  Blue Loctite will last for at least an entire match.  I used it without primer, and just let it sit for 24 hours before using.

Custom cone comp or a transfer cone adapter for bull barrel comp.

1/2" 28 barrel thread.

Red Loctite 272, no primer. http://na.henkel-adhesives.com/product-search-1554.htm?nodeid=8797710254081

Make barrel warm with torch or heat gun so that glue viscosity is reduced at application time. Then be quick ;)

Its best to cut the frame - less weight and no workarounds on the comp. 1,200g w/o mag.

IMG_1982.JPG.6de4959d806b901ee78aa4966d8ff36f.JPGCZ-SP01-Shadow-Open-twins.thumb.jpg.c54f5732e4a59b0f94ec56c96be12506.jpg

Edited by arkadi

9 hours ago, arkadi said:

1/2" 28 barrel thread.

Red Loctite 272, no primer. http://na.henkel-adhesives.com/product-search-1554.htm?nodeid=8797710254081

Make barrel warm with torch or heat gun so that glue viscosity is reduced at application time. Then be quick ;)

Its best to cut the frame - less weight and no workarounds on the comp. 1,200g w/o mag.

IMG_1982.JPG.6de4959d806b901ee78aa4966d8ff36f.JPGCZ-SP01-Shadow-Open-twins.thumb.jpg.c54f5732e4a59b0f94ec56c96be12506.jpg

What an awesome pair arkadi!  :cheers:

Or......Canik open gun?  Convinced my friend to put a Cajun hammer kit in and remove the fpb, trigger is better than the TSO I tried, and probably a tick better than the Czechmate.  Not too shabby for a sub $400 gun.

Got everything figured out except for the comp piece, but if someone were to be a guinea pig......

On 7/26/2017 at 2:11 PM, arkadi said:

1/2" 28 barrel thread.

Just sweet. Who made the comp? You?

3 hours ago, Apolo said:

Those are awesome. Sorry I haven't gotten back sooner. I think canik has a ported barrel gun?

None of the 75 variants do, similar or identical barrel situation to a regular 75 so the challenge of finding a good comp would be the same.  

3 hours ago, gtaylor07 said:

None of the 75 variants do, similar or identical barrel situation to a regular 75 so the challenge of finding a good comp would be the same.  

I believe the Shark FC does. I don't think it is very easy to come by. Would be a cool toy. I'd still build off a original CZ. 

6 hours ago, gtaylor07 said:

Or......Canik open gun?  Convinced my friend to put a Cajun hammer kit in and remove the fpb, trigger is better than the TSO I tried, and probably a tick better than the Czechmate.  Not too shabby for a sub $400 gun.

Got everything figured out except for the comp piece, but if someone were to be a guinea pig......

The Canik uses a barrel similar to the 75, so at one point I was tempted to fit a 6" CZ barrel to one, but decided the stumpy beaver tail was a deal breaker.  The comp would be easy if you used a 6" barrel: just cut it, thread it 1/2X28 and use a Glock comp.