Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New Vortex Venom on 75 Shadow, cant adjust down

GregJ

Just picked up a 75 Shadow CZC Custom, and setting it up for CO as my primary, and keep my Phantom as backup. I just put a Springer plate on, the plate was pretty loose it just slid in so I slightly peened the bottom front edge of the plate dovetail. When I buttoned it all up and put the Vortex on, the plate was pointing up maybe 1-2*.  This meant I couldnt lower the elevation on the Venom enough to get it sighted in.  So I cut a small shim out of a Pepsi can, wedged it under the rear of the plate and buttoned it all back up.  The plate now sits level with the barrel, and I was able to get it zeroed.

It's almost like the rear part of the slide is machined a little too low for the plate, or the rear of the plate needs to be thicker. I did try playing with the screws on the rear and front, but I needed a lot more adjustment than those screws are capable of providing.

Anyone else run into this?  I'll probably call Springer monday am.

IMG_7464.JPG

Edited by GregJ

9 minutes ago, mro111lland said:

Did u run the front screw down to far pushing the plate up?

I dont think so. There was little pressure from the front screw. 

I ran into this same problem with one of mine, ran out of elevation adjustment.

First, bring that screw towards the front up a bit and then try using the rear screw to force the back end up a bit.  I know it's contrary to what your seeing, but the dot is a mirror image being reflected onto the glass from the rear, so raising the rear is going to lower your point of aim and hopefully get you zeroed. 

You can also try one of these:

http://www.umtactical.com/store/p5/Delrin_Shim_1.0_Degree_for_Vortex_Venom_%26_Viper%2C__Burris_Fastfire_II%2C_III%2C_Docters_and_Sightmark_Optics.html

Edited by clw42

I dont think adjusting the front and rear screws like that would be possible with the now good inteferrence fit of the dovetail. I wonder if I should have just slopped the provided loctite on, slid it on, let it set overnight, then tightened everything. I just believe that dovetail needs to be a tight fit. 

I'll keep that shim in mind for future reference. :cheers: