Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Triple Six

eric nielsen

Well, shot this again for the first time in about 2 months......

2.09........6 A

2.49........2 A, 3 C, 1 M 1.30 in penalties

3.32........3 A, 3 C .30 in penalties

total

7.90 + 1.60= 9.50 COLD first 18 shots of the day !!!! :) (except the mike) <_<

After about 1 hour of shooting other stuff I reshot this......

2.00........6A

2.62........6A

3.07........5A, 1D .50 in penalties

Total

7.69 + .50 = 8.19 :D:D:D

If you notice, the times are not much different.....BUT look at the penalties <_<

Hopalong

Oh yeah, shooting Revolver

Post your scores - Jake, Steve, Ron??? - because knowing the net time to beat is a real motivator.

So how do I rate being included in the times to beat? OK, I shot this today with my trusty single stack after a long, hot, Steel Challenge practice session. I shot through twice.

The first run I shot it with the clear intent of shooting all A's. The times were 2.08 all A's, 2.99 all A's, and 4.49 all A's for a total of 9.56 seconds. I think that type of shooting would hold up pretty well any where you go.

On the second run I turned up the heat just a notch. The 7 yard string was 1.86 all A's, 15 yards was 2.74 with one C, and the 25 yard string was 3.30 with all A's for a total of 8.10 seconds. Based upon how I felt, and what I know about shooting, I honestly feel the raw time of 7.90 down 1 point (iron sights) is absolutely phenominal. My second run was one of those where you just know the run is at your limits of human function, so I didn't bother to screw up a mental high by shooting another attempt.

I have no doubt people could turn in some really fast times on this drill. A raw time of six seconds and change wouldn't be unheard of, and if (big freaking if) the hits were there...well you know. :lol:

Well, shot this again for the first time in about 2 months......

2.09........6 A

2.49........2 A, 3 C, 1 M    1.30 in penalties

3.32........3 A, 3 C            .30 in penalties

total

7.90 + 1.60= 9.50  COLD  first 18 shots of the day !!!!  :)  (except the mike) <_<

After about  1 hour of shooting other stuff I reshot this......

2.00........6A

2.62........6A

3.07........5A, 1D    .50 in penalties

Total

7.69 + .50 = 8.19  :D  :D  :D

If you notice, the times are not much different.....BUT look at the penalties  <_<

Hopalong

Oh yeah, shooting Revolver

Great shooting Hop. I tried this one for the first time recently, but I did the distances in meters and Turtle targets. I got 10.14 I believe (including penalties)

Open, M, 6.94 with one Czone at 25 yards = 7.14 total score.

7 yds - 1.92, first shot .96, splits about .19

15yds - 2.26, first shot 1.28, splits about .20

25yds - 2.76, first shot 1.40, splits about .28

Weird thing at 7 yards, it "felt" like one shot was a distinct stumble, a slower split. Looked for it on the timer & couldn't find it, every split was a .19 or .20. "Perception versus reality", glad I didn't rush through that.

Got my Open slide back today. The work I've done with the iron-sight G35 slide on top of the G17 frame has paid off - dry-fire times for draw, reload, draw-to-stronghand, draw-to-weakhand, reload-to-weakhand have gotten quicker & more consistent.

My draw has morphed back into a "stab" that looks identical to Brian's [1990] book photos. Abandoned trying to have both hands locked in prior to full extension and everything is better now, even though I feel my stronghand thumb slapping into the weakhand thumb JUST as the shot is about to break. Anyone else get that sensation???

• 1 year later...

Thank you very much....I had my head shaved because it was just easier for a while. I have hair now. As a matter of fact I've decided not to shave or cut my hair until I win my first major of next season. ;) Kinda like a hunting thing....but with shooting. heh

Thank you very much....I had my head shaved because it was just easier for a while. I have hair now. As a matter of fact I've decided not to shave or cut my hair until I win my first major of next season. ;) Kinda like a hunting thing....but with shooting. heh

hippy! :lol:

just don't take bathing off your list!

Edited by lynn jones

• 1 year later...

I really like this drill, But by looking at your scores, i am doomed to be a lowly B shooter for a while. I Ran,

3.06 clean

5.13, 1c

7.27 3c, 1d

17.17 after correction. The wife ran it in 41.71, and I thought I was good, until you guys slapped me back into my place.

I like and still run Triple Six occasionally in practice. It shows me where my weak spots for stand-and-blast shooting are ;)

My PB is stashed away somewhere (it was on turtle targets too), but at the moment I'm pretty happy to be in the 7's (adjusted) on a cold run.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

This is a great drill.

I was running around 7.5 adjusted (open). with 1.75, 2.09, 2:37 as my best times

what I really like about shooting this drill today was that I knew what my points were going to be before I got to the target.

I definitely knew when I threw a D and most Cs and it was usually my first shot, so I will have to work on my index.

When I was trying to hard I would pulls a shot or two low left

My 7 yard strings seemed to have a lot of tension in them, running .18-.19s splits. I couldn't seem to get my finger to relax and move quickly

Edited by Supermoto

• 8 months later...

Thanks Flex :D

Triple Six is a great drill. It will teach you exactly what you need to see at different distances.

Set up 3 targets at 7, 15, and 25 yards. You will shoot 3 strings here but keep track of your overall time.

String one- Draw and fire 6 rds into T1.

String two- Draw and fire 6 rds into T2.

String three- Draw and fire 6 rds into T3.

The point of the drill is to see how fast you can shoot at every distance but keeping them in the A-Zone. Every point you drop, you must add time to your overall time.

A- +0

B/C- +.20

D- +.50

Miss- + 1 sec.

So if your total time is 9 sec for the stage and you dropped 5 C's, then you really shot the course in 10 sec.

• 2 years later...

11/14/2012 - Open STI 38 super

total 7.54

down 3 C's (all at 25 yards) = 8.04

11/26/2012 - Production XDm 9mm

down zero = 8.33

12/5/2012 - Open STI 38 super

total 6.82

down 1 C = 7.02

As Sam mentioned when the thread started, there's also a Triple Bill Drill requiring 3 targets (7, 10 and 13 yards) and 2 reloads. Excellent video of Rob Leatham doing this with a LTD Springfield here:

(edit) - 2nd great video on topic:

Edited by eric nielsen

• 3 weeks later...

Are you doing it Rob's way? 6 reload 6 reload 6 or are you doing it in 3 separate strings of fire? Thanks Max's site is not working with today. Thanks

We should do a different drill each week and make sure everyony puts down their classification & gun. You might be doing that already to lazy to read all the posts....

Edited by a matt