Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Disable grip safety or not.

HerdThinner

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, Steve RA said:

I just cut the arm off the grip safety, it still moves but nothing happens.  If I still had a drill press I'd go ahead and pin it.

any pics please, 

I took a 1/16" drill bit, drilled 1/4" down into the main spring housing and then inserted the bit into the housing and put blueing on the end.  Push it back into position so that it will mark the grip safety while held down.  Then drill 1/4" into the grip safety.  I then cut the drill bit to length and used it as a pin to lock the grip safety into place.  That way if you decide, you can remove the pin and the grip safety will work as originally equipped. 

1 hour ago, StuckinMS said:

I took a 1/16" drill bit, drilled 1/4" down into the main spring housing and then inserted the bit into the housing and put blueing on the end.  Push it back into position so that it will mark the grip safety while held down.  Then drill 1/4" into the grip safety.  I then cut the drill bit to length and used it as a pin to lock the grip safety into place.  That way if you decide, you can remove the pin and the grip safety will work as originally equipped. 

This is how I do mine. 

A couple of times, in USPSA competition, I've drawn and the gun wouldn't

go BANG.   Took me a couple seconds to realize it was my grip - both

times the targets were almost directly under me - guess I didn't 

activate the grip saftety.    :( 

My main open gun has an active safety.  I left it that way because some of the events I shoot require all safety mechanisms to be active.  My backup gun has a pinned GS.   It is a fact that you can draw more consistently with an inactive GS.  You don't have to pin the GS to inactivate.  You can disable by wedging in a small piece of safety pin.  If you decide you like it, you can have it pinned later.

On my SS I just tape the grip safety down, not pretty, but it works. I just remove the tape for IDPA matches. If your gun does not need the active safety for the competitions you're going to enter, I'd pin it. 

A couple of things to think about before pinning a grip safety. Firstly check the USPSA rules, I know in IPSC if you have a safety fitted it must be operational so no cutting off tabs it would have to be pinned.

Secondly and more importantly it is a safety And is there to protect you and others.

On 7/22/2017 at 11:48 AM, Bkreutz said:

It's legal to have the grip safety disabled in USPSA competition. The primary thumb safety does have to be operational.

Not in all USPSA classes. In CO, all have to work. I have got a bad draw on my XDM and lost time. My open pistol will be pinned.

3 hours ago, Broncman said:

Not in all USPSA classes. In CO, all have to work. I have got a bad draw on my XDM and lost time. My open pistol will be pinned.

I'm not aware of any CO pistols that have grip safeties, but I guess one could use a 1911/2011 in CO (why, IDK, but I suppose it's possible)

15 hours ago, Bkreutz said:

I'm not aware of any CO pistols that have grip safeties, but I guess one could use a 1911/2011 in CO (why, IDK, but I suppose it's possible)

Can't use 1911/2011 in CO. Must be production gun, SA/DA, DAO or striker fired.

A Para LDA is legal. 

Not sure about a revolver.

I don't recommend disabling ANY safety device or feature on ANY firearm.

If you are worried about depressing it far enough to deactivate it when you shoot, learn to grip the gun properly. If that fails lighten the leaf on your sear spring for the grip safety til you can depress it far enough consistently. If that fails, try adding a rubber pad to the bottom of it so your hand pushes it in farther.

Edited by Dranoel
Had a thought.

3 hours ago, Dranoel said:

I don't recommend disabling ANY safety device or feature on ANY firearm.

It's not the primary safety, and not required by the rules, so what exactly is the problem with disabling it?  

As for how to do it, I would advise against removing the arm on the safety, since that could be a big problem if you decide you want to reactivate it, or if you want to sell the gun.  If you go the roll pin route, you can remove it and reactivate the safety in about two minutes and cost is zero.  With the busted off arm, you have to fit a new safety and then get it finished to match the gun.  So you're looking at a couple of weeks minimum, and cost of a hundred bucks or more.