Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

P320 X5 RX Casings Hitting Optic

racerwong

So this was briefly mentioned in the huge long X5 thread: 

http://forums.brianenos.com/topic/244144-p320-x5-thread/?page=29&tab=comments#comment-2796007

Not sure I saw a solution or explanation, so Im asking here. I recently swapped over from stock guide rod/spring to a tungsten + 14# 1911 spring and now my ejected brass is hitting my optic (see picture). Same ammo (Speer 147). 

Does this mean I need to goto a lower weight spring?  (or higher)? 

355v63i.png

I would switch to a lower weight spring for sure as a first step. One, because it's a handling upgrade with match ammo in 9mm Minor. Two, because the extra slide speed will result in more vigorous ejection and may take care of your issue.

The next place I'd look would probably be at the angle / position of your ejector relative to another 320 without this issue

22 hours ago, bossgvr4 said:

Just tested some 147gr Coated, ~890fps rounds with teh Wolff Vairable 14#. No hits on the Romeo1 that I observed nor did I see any evidence of impact. YMMV

YMMV indeed..  this was from a friend today shooting 147g , 130PF 9mm. Tungsten rod, 14# spring. 

YsfDboT.jpg

vHdAK75.jpg

mKxUpHZ.jpg

Edited by racerwong

1 hour ago, racerwong said:

YMMV indeed..  this was from a friend today shooting 147g , 130PF 9mm. Tungsten rod, 14# spring.

Were they using a standard linear rate  spring or a curved rate variable ? My understanding of the variable is that for the first portion of the compression it "acts' like a lighter spring, but at the working compressed length it stores the same energy as a standard  spring.

If I'm interpreting this right the spring is weaker during the first portion of the compression which allows the slide to move back faster. Getting the Romeo1 away from the flight path of the ejected brass, but has enough force when fully compressed to send the slide home.

Edited by bossgvr4

11 hours ago, bossgvr4 said:

Were they using a standard linear rate  spring or a curved rate variable ? My understanding of the variable is that for the first portion of the compression it "acts' like a lighter spring, but at the working compressed length it stores the same energy as a standard  spring.

If I'm interpreting this right the spring is weaker during the first portion of the compression which allows the slide to move back faster. Getting the Romeo1 away from the flight path of the ejected brass, but has enough force when fully compressed to send the slide home.

Standard spring

• 2 weeks later...