Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What's old is new again...

cheers623

So posted the below thoughts in another thread in this section. Realized after reading it..."this should be it's own thread" so as not to hijack another thread. So, here it is below. Short-version...all the knowledge and wisdom already contained in the BEnos-verse is only further confirmed. Anyway...here you go:

I just went through testing a few powders and bullet weights, along with plated, jacketed, and Hi-tech coated bullets. Specifically Ramshot Competition, Titegroup, and N320. The bullets were Xtreme 200gr RNFP, Precision Delta 200gr RNFP,  BBI 200gr TC, Rainier 180gr HP, and Xtreme 180gr RNFP. I used all three listed powders with all of the listed bullets and loaded them all to a 5-shot string average of 171-174pf as confirmed by shooting over my CED chronograph. 

I also used two different 5" 2011-style pistols for each load. One had a factory STI barrel, the other a KKM barrel. So, I was really trying to be thorough and see what I could find out was my personal preference. I had the time and resources to do this because I just moved onto 24 acres of my own. Always dreamed of being able to experiment in depth. 

Anyway, per this thread...within all of the similar weight bullets, loaded to identical power factor...I could not detect a noticeable difference in recoil and sight-tracking. Both slow fire and running drills on the timer. Specifically, all the 200gr loads felt reasonably similar and no noticeable difference than you might find from round to round of the same powder using mixed-headstamp brass. This held true with the 180gr loads as well. 

After working up each load in small batches to confirm velocity, I loaded 100rds of each listed above for testing. In all of this testing, only two big observations stood out.

#1) There's a pretty noticeable difference in recoil and sight-tracking between 200gr and 180gr bullets. The 200gr being universally slower and softer recoil impulses. I'm not going to characterize better or worse...just slower and softer. Of course how your gun is sprung up matters as well. And for the record, I also tried 11lbs and 12.5lbs ISMI springs in every test too. 

The 180gr bullets felt faster and sharper in recoil and sight-tracking. The slide cycled faster and the sights seemed to return sooner. I should state that I've been shooting 200gr loads for the last 10+ years. I thought I'd prefer the 200gr loads...I think I'm gonna spend some time with the 180grs and see. When slow-firing, maybe I prefer the 200s....maybe? When the timer is running...I'm leaning towards the 180s...specifically because it seems that my sights return faster. As to "feel" when the timer is running...not hugely noticeably different between 200 and 180...except my sights return faster with 180s. YMMV...

#2) Regardless of the claims..."coated" bullets smoked noticeably more during rapid fire strings and timer drills. This isn't a knock on them, but depepending on lighting conditions, could play into your decision. Smoke clouds definitely formed more with the coated bullets. In addition, they are messier when handling, loading, case-gauging, etc. I use nitrile gloves when loading, so it's not really important. However, it may be to you. Cost-wise..."coated" is the budget-minded winner. My research and bulk-pricing comparison puts it like this:

8.5-9 cents per with coated, 10-12 cents per with plated, and 12-13 cents per with jacketd. This assumes a minimum of 2000 pieces purchased and shipped at bulk rates.

So, I'm going to try plated 180gr for a while...because I happened to have 4000 pieces laying around from the 2008 panic-buying frenzy. After that...who knows?

Regarding powder...well...that'll have to keep for another post/thread. However...short version is: VVN320 is worth the extra money...to me. YMMV

Cheers - Thanks for the info.  I appreciate it.  I've mainly shot .40 (non-competition) since the early 90's.  It was just my choice of carry gun and personal choice.  I still continue that today and while entering competition.  However, I also always tended to shoot the 180 gr rounds.  I actually never even knew they had 200 gr bullets for .40 until I got on this site.  LOL!  But, I had heard of the 165's and I tried them a long time ago (all factory ammo, that is) and just wasn't thrilled with it.  I always thought the lower grain ammo felt too snappy, even in a normal, full sized .40 (I had a S&W Model 4006 - All stainless).  So, it's funny that your results seem to center back around the 180gr bullets because I have always had the best feel and luck with the 180gr.  They cycled through anything I put them through and they always felt "normal" regarding recoil; especially vs. the lighter grained counterparts.

I always thought of trying out the 200 gr since I now load my own and found out about it here, but honestly, I figure why change from something I'm used to and like.  Now, powder, on the other hand, is a whole 'nother animal.  LOL!

PS  I envy you and your 24 acres of land.  I soooo wish I could even find a 3-5 acre piece of land out here in KY (that I could afford, anyway) and be able to just go out back and shoot on my own land as a shooting range.  Then I would love to make all kinds of different loads and test/chrono them out.  So, congrats!