Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Better for 9 minor - 5" Schuemann Tribrid or shorty barrel and standard compensator?

Rudukai13

Question is as the title asks - For a 9mm minor gun where power factor isn't a major concern, would it be better to go with a 5" Schuemann Tribrid barrel or a traditional thread-on compensator on a short barrel? This would be for a "carry comp" style pistol where I'm wanting the overall length to be no greater than a 5" non-compensated gun. See attached photos for reference - One is a (very rough) Photoshop of an Atlas Chaos, made to look like a standard compensator threaded on to a much shorter than standard barrel, and the other is of a 1911 with a Government profile slide utilizing a 5" Schuemann Tribrid barrel.

I'd want the pistol to run a variety of off the shelf range/defensive 9mm ammo.

So...Thoughts?

Nemesis_1.0.jpg

Schuemann_Tribrid.JPG

Hello: I don't think either one would be a good carry pistol at all. Way to heavy to carry all day and why do you need/want a comp on a carry pistol that may need to get shot at night time? The flash coming out of the ports will be blinding. Also are you going to leave the red dot on all the time? Get a commander length 2011 or 1911 in 9mm and be done. This is just my thoughts on this but others may know better. Thanks, Eric

No, this wouldn't actually be a carry gun - I used "carry comp" for lack of a better term to describe pistols built with compensators that are more compact than a full-on Open competition gun.

To be honest this gun wouldn't really be built for any specific purpose, just as a pistol with features I like that is fun to shoot at the range.

The root of my question is this - For a gun that will be shooting a mix of off the shelf, minor pf 9mm ammo, would the Schuemann Tribrid barrel be better than a short barrel with traditional thread-on compensator? Keep in mind I'm not looking for the ultimate, no-muzzle-rise, flat-as-a-laser shooter, but whichever setup will be most effective considering the type of ammo I'm wanting to use.

Perhaps a better way to frame this question for this forum: For a steel challenge Open gun (minor pf), would a Schuemann Tribrid barrel be as effective as a short barrel (around 4") with short compensator?

Hello: No, a comp will be more efficient than just a barrel holed pistol. Take a look at steel challenge 22's as well. They have comps on those and they don't have much gas to work with. I would still build a 5" open pistol with a comp but make the slide very light. A 1911 with a comp would be a great one I think in 9mm. Heavier frame, cheaper mags and the weight in your hand. Thanks, Eric

I would start with a comp, and only add ports later if I wanted it flatter.

I'm in the process of building two comp's 9mm guns right now.  The 1911 will be a dedicated 9mm Steel Challenge (Minor) gun.  It has Aircooler6racer's custom comp cut into a Truebore barrel blank.  You don't need 10 shots on a SC stage, so what good is a 2011 with 23 or 29 unless you want to shoot the same pistol for SC and USPSA Major.  I got tired of shooting Major for SC.  That's the reason for the 1911.