Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

open top end parts

am thinking of building a new top end for my open gun.  i don't have a mill or such so am thinking of using these parts. what do you guys think of these parts .  for those that have use the slide, does it already have the 1 degree angle in front already?

http://www.1911store.com/brazos-lightning-slide-9/38-opem.aspx

http://www.1911store.com/stitruborbarrelcomp-withthundercompsxstylecomp.aspx

I recently built a gun using the Brazos Lightning Slide (Caspian version).  I'm pretty sure it was already angle cut for the comp, but I don't remember for sure.  I used a KKM threaded barrel, so I can't comment on the rest of your question.  The slide was done very nicely and is working great.

I posted a picture in the Open gun picture thread (page 56 about halfway down)

3 hours ago, tyler2you said:

I recently built a gun using the Brazos Lightning Slide (Caspian version).  I'm pretty sure it was already angle cut for the comp, but I don't remember for sure.  I used a KKM threaded barrel, so I can't comment on the rest of your question.  The slide was done very nicely and is working great.

I posted a picture in the Open gun picture thread (page 56 about halfway down)

looks great.  

On 7/22/2017 at 9:35 AM, zzt said:

Before you decide, measure the frame rails on your gun.  That will help you decide whether you use a Caspian slide of an STI.  

what numbers, should someone look for to decide between the two slides??

thanks

The width of your frame rails.  Say you measure them and they are .754" wide.  A typical STI slide will have ways that are .757" wide, so there is no way you could fit that slide to your frame.  A Caspian at a typical .752" - .754" would work nicely.  It works the other way as well.  If your frame rails are .756" - .757", you may decide on an STI slide for no other reason than you didn't want to take enough off the rails to use a Caspian.

Edited by zzt

On 7/25/2017 at 1:47 PM, zzt said:

The width of your frame rails.  Say you measure them and they are .754" wide.  A typical STI slide will have ways that are .757" wide, so there is no way you could fit that slide to your frame.  A Caspian at a typical .752" - .754" would work nicely.  It works the other way as well.  If your frame rails are .756" - .757", you may decide on an STI slide for no other reason than you didn't want to take enough off the rails to use a Caspian.

Great info !!