Are pistols with braces legal for PCC?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

From D8

Must have stock attached and be capable of being fired from shoulder position. **Note: Sig Brace and any variant thereof is not allowed** Handgun conversions are allowed, provided they meet the criteria above. **see Special Conditions**ย 

Hello: I do wish they would allow a pistol caliber pistol with a brace. I can shoot my PCC without shouldering it so what is the difference? I have a Thordson brace on a AR 9mm pistol and it is sweet when braced. The 8 1/2" barrel would be great for tight USPSA pistol matches. It would also allow more guns into a match I think. Waiting for a Tax Stamp for 8-10 months would remove many on converting theirย pistol to a SBR. Thanks, Eric

3 hours ago, OPENB said:

It was an agenda item at the last BoD meeting, but I did not hear that anything was changed.

They reconfirmed their previous position of no braces.ย  Mainly to avoid the Doodie's making fun of the fact that you have a rifle division at a pistol match that you could shoot a pistol in.

ย 

ย 

2 minutes ago, brisix said:

They reconfirmed their previous position of no braces.ย  Mainly to avoid the Doodie's making fun of the fact that you have a rifle division at a pistol match that you could shoot a pistol in.

ย 

ย 

Mainly to avoid the possibility of people not being able to help themselves and accidently shouldering the stock brace despite best intentions and breaking federal law. Drawing possible negative attention to our sport.ย 

15 minutes ago, sfinney said:

Mainly to avoid the possibility of people not being able to help themselves and accidently shouldering the stock brace despite best intentions and breaking federal law. Drawing possible negative attention to our sport.ย 

ย 

Pretty sure the latest flip-flop from ATF (as of 4-24-17) ย is that it's OK to shoulder a brace.

10 minutes ago, open17 said:

ย 

Pretty sure the latest flip-flop from ATF (as of 4-24-17) ย is that it's OK to shoulder a brace.

ย 

That's the way I understand it too.ย  However, I can understand why a shooting organization would want to just stay away from the issue altogether! ย 

4 hours ago, Aircooled6racer said:

Hello: I do wish they would allow a pistol caliber pistol with a brace. I can shoot my PCC without shouldering it so what is the difference? I have a Thordson brace on a AR 9mm pistol and it is sweet when braced. The 8 1/2" barrel would be great for tight USPSA pistol matches. It would also allow more guns into a match I think. Waiting for a Tax Stamp for 8-10 months would remove many on converting theirย pistol to a SBR. Thanks, Eric

USPSA says PCC's ย requires be shouldered, but no penalty mentioned for not shouldering.

ย 

USPSA PCC Adendum

29 minutes ago, Ken6PPC said:

ย 

That's the way I understand it too.ย  However, I can understand why a shooting organization would want to just stay away from the issue altogether! ย 

If you read the letter.... its still unclear.ย โ€œincidental, sporadic, or situationalโ€ use of a firearm equipped with an arm brace โ€œin its original approved configurationโ€ at or near the shoulder - that's doesn't sound like allowingย  intentional planning on using the rifle pistol , shouldered, all day in a match is incidental......ย  but its all clear as mud. I'm staying away from it.

Just now, sfinney said:

If you read the letter.... its still unclear.ย โ€œincidental, sporadic, or situationalโ€ use of a firearm equipped with an arm brace โ€œin its original approved configurationโ€ at or near the shoulder - that's doesn't sound like allowingย  intentional planning on using the rifle pistol , shouldered, all day in a match is incidental......ย  but its all clear as mud. I'm staying away from it.

ย 

Probably the smartest thing to do....ย  Also prob why the org. wants to stay clear of the whole "brace" debacle! ย 

1 hour ago, Dannybot said:

USPSA says PCC's ย requires be shouldered, but no penalty mentioned for not shouldering.

ย 

USPSA PCC Adendum

The addendum is in contradiction of the PCC APPENDIX. PCC's are NOT required to be fired from the shoulder. They must have a stock and be CAPABLE of being fired from the shoulder.

Just send in your SBR stamp, it will probably be back in 3-4 months at this point as they are almost done with pre 41-f. Not sure why you would want to risk using something that can get you in a situation where you need a lawyerย on an ATF officer's discretion.

3 hours ago, Nathanb said:

You don't track current wait times do you? ย Wait times are almost a year at this point. It's not going to drop over night eitherย 

ย 

Of course the wait times are almost a year currently...ย they are being augmented by the Pre 41F push...SilencerCo sent $2 million in tax stamps in one shipment. The vast majority of what they have to get through is pre 41F. Once they are through the 41F the number of forms drops off substantially. Ask any company about the sales drop off following 41F. A form turned in today will be substantially shorter wait than the ones coming through right now. I would be willing to bet $$$ a form sent today is less than 6 months and wouldn't be surprised to see the wait drop to 100-120 days. It is simple math.

• 2 years later...
On 7/20/2017 at 6:21 PM, open17 said:

ย 

ย 

While that's true, by running what is legally a pistol in a carbine division kinda makes it more difficult to say, "But this is really a pistol!"

ย 

I mean, the whole thing starting with the NFA is stupid, but I get why it's a rule in USPSA.