Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Slide Stop Wear

Husker95

Is it a common thing for slide stops to wear to the point that they will begin to back out during operation?

I am shooting a SA Loaded 45 (1999 vintage) with quite a few rounds down the pipe.  Recently, I have had issues where the slide stop will creep out enough to impede slide motion during a shooting session.  Also, it doesn't have that nice sharp "snap" when I reassemble the gun anymore.

installing a new part seems to be simple enough so am planning to do that.  Interest if anyone has seen this before.

Thanks.

Does your slide stop have an indent in the end where it contacts the detent in the plunger tube.  If it doesn't you could add one or make it deeper.  You might also replace the detent and spring if it's weak.  I wouldn't suspect wear on the slide stop to be causing the issue.

Yep, had it happen.  Locked the gun up tight in the middle of a stage.  Used the base of the mag as a hammer to punch the slide stop back in and finished the stage.

Replaced the worn slide stop and never had the problem again.

• 3 weeks later...

Are you left handed?

Had that issue a few years ago, evidently my thumb started riding the end of the SS pin, making it occasionally pushing it out far enough to jam the gun.

I ground the pin flush and the issue went away.

Just changed the pin in one gun about 3 years ago and didn't grind it flush and the issue hasn't happened so for whatever reason I seem to have "corrected" this problem.