Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Magazines

tomjerry1

2 hours ago, Jerry Anderson said:

Along with all the mag combinations i keep one mag (140) with one round in my back pocket. When the "make ready" command happens i take the single mag-round and load it first. Press check that it loaded, then put a fresh mag in.

I do the same with a Barney magazine (only one round in the mag) but I don't bother with the press check.  If the bullet is not in the magazine, its gotta be in the chamber.  Plus the press check adds one more movement that could cause problems.  I don't know if its ever happened, but doing a press check and the slide not going fully into battery concerned me.

So far, no magical disappearing bullets.  The Barney is empty and the gun goes bang when I pull the trigger.

14 hours ago, tomjerry1 said:

Well, I received my magazines yesterday, can get 28 in the 170s and 22 in the 140. They fit well and eject easily, will take them out the next day or so and see how they work.

If those are MBX's, after a bit of time you will be able to get 23 reloadable in the 140's, and 29 in the 170, but the fully loaded 170 is not easy to reload on the fly, I usually download that to 28 when I'm going to load that after the start, same thing with unloaded starts. I find that loading a full 170 will take a couple of tries to load securely.

My magazines work as good as I thought, although I have 1 that drops out of the gun after the last round? Will get around to looking at it this week, thinking a follower may be causing the issue? hope so, easy to fix that. The round count in the magazines is still 28 in the 170, and 22 in the 140, guess I can live with that.

On 26/07/2017 at 10:35 AM, SJan said:

answers here are all over the place...

I'm gearing up to shoot open, I have 1-170 and 1-140 that came with my gun.  I plan on getting a few more , I'm thinking a total of 2-170 and 3-140 as a minimum.  

Yep. That would be my minimum. 

I run 3 170s and 3 140s as a match set but have 5 more 140s for practice etc. plus another 5 140 sv tubes. 

My 140s run the plastic Arredondo +3 pads so they hold 25. 

I also keep an extra 140 with flat pad for prone etc. 

i thibk 3 170s and 3 140s is a good setup. 

I run 3 pouches and one magnet on my rig. So I go to the line with 4 mags and one comes off the magnet and goes in the gun at lamr. 

Unfortunately right now I'm having nightmare nose diving issues in my 140s. I think the daa grams type 11 coil springs have worn as with +3 pads they are closer to 155mm in length and probably should have 13 coil springs in them. 

Grams guts have worked well for me. 

Tomjerry.  

I run 2-170's & 4-140's. MBX with stock internals. When new I had similar issues as you are having. After a bit of break in though they have worked perfectly. At first capacity was also same as yours. Now both 170's I can load full and Barney up for 29+1 with no problems. The 140's are all still a bit iffy trying to insert full so I just download by 1 but not an issue. 

2 hours ago, tomjerry1 said:

magazine is ejecting on it's own, without any input from me.

My TruBor started doing that few years ago - not on last shot fired,

but when I inserted the mag (Yes, I inserted it properly and fully).

Turns out I needed a new spring for the mag release button    :) 

On ‎7‎/‎24‎/‎2017 at 8:13 PM, hunt_fish said:

In my opinion you need a short stick in case there is a prone stage under a port where a big stick would raise the gun too high... Only ever had this happen once, but once is enough!

Sorry getting late to this party. Great suggestion by Hunt. Two years ago at Area 3 there was a prone stage. A new Open shooter went to the firing position with a 170 stick and had a very difficult time aiming/pointing the gun through the low port. The sad part of this is that the stage was only 12 rounds. I have 2-170's and 5-140's and have been using that combo for years with great results. Welcome to the wonderful wacky world of Open.

2 hours ago, 191138sc said:

Sorry getting late to this party. Great suggestion by Hunt. Two years ago at Area 3 there was a prone stage. A new Open shooter went to the firing position with a 170 stick and had a very difficult time aiming/pointing the gun through the low port. The sad part of this is that the stage was only 12 rounds. I have 2-170's and 5-140's and have been using that combo for years with great results. Welcome to the wonderful wacky world of Open.

I know a couple of shooters that only use 170's, the thought is that if they use them all the time, they don't have to adjust to different length/weight magazines. Don't know if I agree with that logic, or maybe I'm not good enough to know the difference (probably the latter) but I have 1-170, 1-155, and 3-140's (got the 155 for my birthday, just for S&G)

Is there a place on the web where I can get tube dimensions for 9/38 ? 

There are some mentioned in the Dawson mag tune kit DVD... not sure how useful they are 15 different grips in 2011s nowadays....

Atlas Gunworks started up a video series on mag tuning on YouTube and yesterday's video didn't mention any dimensions... adam just makes sure they don't stick in the gun on the way in or out. (Watch the video to know where and how to hit them)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...
On ‎7‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 1:44 PM, tomjerry1 said:

I just bought an open gun and am wondering what maybe the correct combination of magazines, 1-170 and 2-140, or the opposite? Any other combinations?

I used to use a mixture of both and have since just switched to only the 170's it just took a little practice to get good at reloading them