Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Magazines

tomjerry1

You probably want 3 little sticks so you don't need to drop the 170 or have to pick up and re-use a 140 for the multiple string classifiers. As for 1-170 You know what they say: "One is None, Two is one, ...."

I have two 170's and 6 140's. I keep more than a few 140's because more often than not they are all I use in matches. We seem to be on a "32 rounds or bust" trend lately.

I just started in open and went with 140, 155, and 170 (wasn't sure which I'd need)

I really like reloading the 140...

need to run a few more matches before I determine which mag size I'll prefer and order more of...

Local guys around me do the opposite of sarge: run all 170s and keep a 140 in their bag as backup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Currently I have 2 170's, 2 155's, 5 140's. If I were to start over and didn't buy a used gun that came with 3 140's and 2 170's, I probably would've just went with 170's and 155's. More rounds and if you're not coming from using a 2011 in limited, you won't notice the different mag length to reload.

Ya, seems like the 32 round stages are becoming very popular, most the folks in my area seem to have more 140's than 170,s

I have a Caspian, and mag options are limited. I am going to get a couple MBX and see what works, they are expensive, but not really as compared to welded up mags.

I will be making the switch from Limited to Open next year, still trying to figure this thing out, always wondered about chasing the dot.

Right now I have 1 170 and 2 140 but do have a 155 on order. I will get one more 170 and if I like the 155 I will get one more of those two. Yes it does seem like a lot of 32 round stages, but I know that there doing it in my club to make the open guys do mag changes or if we have a short stage there will be a mandatory mag charge. If I'm dropping a mag I like to drop the 140 if I can. 

I have 170's, 155's, and 140's.  1 of the 170's and 3 of the 140's have the Dawson tool less base pads as I feel they drop cleaner out of the gun with the extra weight and hold up better than the MBX bases when hitting the ground.  My best reloads on a classifier are with 140's with the heavier base as the first mag....  I'm only a "C" and need all the help I can get!!!

45 minutes ago, glockman75 said:

Why not just have 170's?

I was new to open and I bought 3: 170's and 3: 140's.

A friend of mine has 6: 170's.   I think if I had to do it again I would go all big sticks.

In my opinion you need a short stick in case there is a prone stage under a port where a big stick would raise the gun too high... Only ever had this happen once, but once is enough!

answers here are all over the place...

I'm gearing up to shoot open, I have 1-170 and 1-140 that came with my gun.  I plan on getting a few more , I'm thinking a total of 2-170 and 3-140 as a minimum.  

On 7/25/2017 at 7:35 PM, SJan said:

answers here are all over the place...

I'm gearing up to shoot open, I have 1-170 and 1-140 that came with my gun.  I plan on getting a few more , I'm thinking a total of 2-170 and 3-140 as a minimum.  

I would look into the 155 and skip the 140's. The springs are the same in the 170 and 155, so when you change springs you can just buy a five pack of 13 coil springs. 

Edited by Steelix

• 2 weeks later...

Well, MBX it is. I settled on two 170s and one 140, MBX said they are not going to make 155s for the Caspian. Caspian referred me to MBX. I expect that they will preform as good as the others I have, no tuning required.